kswx29

Lecompton, KS 2001 Video...Rotator stops working at end!

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 am

Today i was in Lecompton and went up to record the 2001...it did its regular alert and attack but during the last maybe 10-20seconds of the attack signal...it stopped roating! I E-Mailed the EM Director of Douglas County about it but what could have happened? Here is the video...it does 3 minutes of Alert and 1 minute of Attack...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mChIvckPQfs
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

uncommonsense

Re: Lecompton, KS 2001 Video...Rotator stops working at end!

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:27 am

2t22boy wrote:Today i was in Lecompton and went up to record the 2001...it did its regular alert and attack but during the last maybe 10-20seconds of the attack signal...it stopped roating! I E-Mailed the EM Director of Douglas County about it but what could have happened? Here is the video...it does 3 minutes of Alert and 1 minute of Attack...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mChIvckPQfs
Being an older style 2001, I've got to wonder if a belt slipped on the rotator. Note how before it gives out, the rotation suddenly accelerates, then slows down, accelerates, slows down, then stops. Seems to me like loose/slipped belt would be the most likely culprit.

Could be wrong of course.[/b]

500AT

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:15 am

We have an older style 2001, which is located just 1.5 km from where I live, which had a similar problem. Apparently, the drive belt on the rotator slipped off the pulley, causing it to not rotate. This went on for over two months, until Westshore came out and placed a new belt on the rotator. Since then, the siren has worked just fine. Another tech I talked with said this is not an altogether, uncommon occurrence with the 2001.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

kswx29

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 am

Well Douglas County EM Emailed me and this is what they said: "Thank you for letting me know and I will let the siren maintenance company know about it."
I hope they do fix it,
the third monday of this month is their next test (First and third monday during the summer) and i want to go back down, but this time go about a half mile away from it to hear how the attack signal would sound like if you was a bit away from it...i was thinking about just recording it from my grandparents house becasue they are in a bit of a valley but the place i want to go is too, but also a bit father away...what do you guys think?
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”