Rheems1

Susquehanna Steam Power plant system replaced

Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 am

I just got word from a friend of mine that the nuclear power plant in Berwick, Pa has replaced almost thier whole system of Thunderbolts and STH-10s with ATI sirens. They used to have a system of Thunderbolt 1000 sirens (and a few STH-10 sirens thrown in) for thier early warning system, but due to malfunctions and the cost of upkeep they have now come onto the chopping block. I guess the only good thing about it is, they replaced them with the snazzy new ATI's and not the ugly speaker arrays. Here is a pic of the one of the installs in Dorrance Township, Pa.

Dave Fritz

loudmouth

Mon May 21, 2007 1:04 am

wow that t bolt gives me chils i like the screen in it. and nice to see a non yellow one.

but ati ........ kinda looks way to harry home owner built for me and the cord looks like it has a IV going to it.
but they probly also replaced them due to the fact that theres a law in the US were all sirens covering Nuclear power plants must have battire back up out goes TB incomes ATI

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 am

The Shearon-Harris Nuke plant near Raleigh, NC is replacing all of there 1000's with Whelen omni's. This is the last nuke plant in NC to undergo siren replacement. Those T-bolts are some of the last ever built to, as the plant did not go critical until 1987.

Rheems1

Mon May 21, 2007 1:14 am

Harry Homeowner built... I love it!! I am going to use that at work (we have alot of Harry Homeowner built stuff at work). It does look look sort of cobled together.. I think they pulled insperation from the old ACA Alertronic R series sirens for the siren itself.. and it looks like they buy thier rotators from the same place as Whelen. The battery back up thing for Nuke sirens only applies if you are replacing/upgrading... I live 5 miles from TMI and there is a whole system of Cyclones/P-10's that don't have battery back up... they are getting replaced by 2001's as they fail/fall apart... but most of the system doesn't have battery back up yet.

Dave

Rheems1

Mon May 21, 2007 1:24 am

The Berwick plant system does have 1 oddity.... Jackson Township, Pa didn't think the plant's system gave it enough coverage... so they bought thier own siren and put it up. It is mounted on one of the highest towers/platforms I have ever seen! The blower and controls are inside a shed at the base of the pole with it's own burgler/fire alarm system as well as a generator (which makes sense to me... if sh*t is going down at the plant...it might knock the power out). It is the only non-rust colored bolt in the system as well as the only 1003 in the system. Here is pics of the rediculously high tower and a close up of the head of the siren with it's nice work platform..... guess they were pretty serious about this siren!

Dave

loudmouth

Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 am

Now thats awsome. and i have to say that has to be one of the best planed siren layouts ive seen. safe,cared for and alot more.

the view must be awsome.

do they test cuse i wouldnt mind a nice video of that one.

AllSafe

Mon May 21, 2007 1:35 am

That's an ATI? That must be something really new since they have nothing on their site about it.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”