HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Getting my Model 5 to run

Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 am

Last summer, I acquired a late 40s/early 50s Federal Enterprises Model 5. Now that it's getting warmer out, I plan on working on getting it running. I'm hoping to have the siren running by July 4 this year.

Since my Model 5 needs 240 V 3-phase power, I need to get a phase convertor of some sort. I have a 240 V outlet in my barn from which I run a compressor and an arc welder. Does anyone have recommendations for a phase converter?

I've read about variable frequency drives being used for the sirens, but my concern is that from my limited experience in the HVAC industry, VFDs will create arcing in the motor bearings, which pits the bearings and wrecks them over time. Is that really a concern with these sirens, especially with older 3-phase AC motors?
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: Getting my Model 5 to run

Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 am

idk of any phase converter that supplies enough amps.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Wdr

Fri May 04, 2018 11:30 am

You probably won’t run it long enough for bearing damage, more of a long term thing from my understanding. Old winding a bigger concern, use a load reactor on the drive. If going rotary just get a cheap three phase motor and build your own. With the 50a outlets drive probably would be better. Don’t use a static converter for a siren.

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 pm

When sizing a VFD for phase converting, should it be twice the horsepower of my Model 5? Also, can all VFDs convert single phase to 3 phase?
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 pm

HDN wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 am
Last summer, I acquired a late 40s/early 50s Federal Enterprises Model 5. Now that it's getting warmer out, I plan on working on getting it running. I'm hoping to have the siren running by July 4 this year.

Since my Model 5 needs 240 V 3-phase power, I need to get a phase convertor of some sort. I have a 240 V outlet in my barn from which I run a compressor and an arc welder. Does anyone have recommendations for a phase converter?

I've read about variable frequency drives being used for the sirens, but my concern is that from my limited experience in the HVAC industry, VFDs will create arcing in the motor bearings, which pits the bearings and wrecks them over time. Is that really a concern with these sirens, especially with older 3-phase AC motors?
I wouldn't go with a VFD myself. It would probably better to go rotary with a 3 phase motor that's bigger than the one on the siren, as mentioned earlier.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Wdr

Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 pm

As far as rotary, for a siren go twice the hp at a minimum. More is better.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”