L.A. sirens r us

Sat May 12, 2007 4:15 pm

I went by Corbin and Vanowen a couple of times to try to find out who took it down, if it was the City or the contractor, and of course, what they did with it. Both times I was stonewalled. After finding someone who spoke English well enough to understand what I was trying to ask, the conversations went something like this: You need to talk to the Superintendent. Is he here?. No. When will he be here? I don?t know. Does he have a phone? Yes, but I don?t know the number. Can I leave a message? I don?t know when I?ll see him. Is there anyone else here I can talk to. No.

I gave up at that point, since based on the information from someone who lives near there, about a month had lapsed since it was removed. It probably wasn?t ?laying around somewhere? after that amount of time.

At least I have a photographic record of it?s existence. http://wirechief.com/sirens/115.htm

CABLEVision

Sat May 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Maybe we can contact the a-team maybe they can help us...but honestly just make a call and see what happened to there?s at least 5 people out there that know what happened to it just got to find those 5 people.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 am

Robert Gift, Order of ASB wrote:Unfortunately, by that time it is probably destroyed.
Doubtful. They could be sitting there for months before they are finally scrapped.

Robert Gift

Sun May 13, 2007 4:49 am

I hope you're right, Gill.
Often by the time stuff gets deposited in the junk yard, it is destroyed.
We need to get these before they are dropped to the ground.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sun May 13, 2007 5:02 am

I actually believe that they destroy them quickly.

I called the local TXDOT office in Lubbock a few months ago and talked to the guy in charge of the signal department about some traffic lights I have seen sitting in a pile rusting. He tells me to talk to a guy in the signal dept. and so I call him and he tells me that they cannot sell the lights as they have a contract with the local scrap metal company. So I call the scrap metal company, and they tell me as soon as they receive the lights they destroy them...that was the last time I called them....it really pissed me off and still does.

I'm gonna try again soon as a new pile has appeared full of old 12" metal incandescent signals (by state law TXDOT is required to change ALL of their traffic lights to 12" poly LED).

C. Bryant

Federal 500 T East Wilmington area L.A. City

Sun May 13, 2007 5:17 am

Hay anyone keeping track of old Ebay siren Sales who was the Contractor who was awarded the road resurface & Curb work
as part of the Alameda Corridor project ? They pulled out the 500T Federal at Denni and Alameda St. Put it up for Bid starting at about $500.00 or a Thousand Dollars.
No Bids as I recall . I think they were in Temecula or Riverside Co.
Perhaps they received this model 500-T also :?:

I would think most any Valley Siren ,Except the Flat top verson of #5
mistery Siren, would be in better shape than a Westside or Harbor area
equal model Siren .

Robert Gift

Sun May 13, 2007 12:33 pm

SKYWARN wrote: ...he tells me that they cannot sell the lights as they have a contract with the local scrap metal company. So I call the scrap metal company, and they tell me as soon as they receive the lights they destroy them...
Did they say why they destroy them right away?
Is there some law?
Can't they sell them to you for more than they would get for scrap metal value?
SKYWARN wrote:I'm gonna try again soon as a new pile has appeared full of old 12" metal incandescent signals (by state law TXDOT is required to change ALL of their traffic lights to 12" poly LED).
Because they weigh less? They can put LEDs in incandescent fixtures.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”