michigantbolt
New User

Re: Post your Mystery Sirens here.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:31 pm

nb siren.jpg
Greetings from Michigan! Been a long time but am from way back to the Blake Woods and Adam Smith days of early internet siren forums!

Found this gem today on Facebook from a local hardware store in Michigan. As a fire department and siren buff, reading local history books stated that this particular town purchased their first fire siren in the late 1920s for $400 and some odd dollars. By the looks at the vehicle in front of building, this is likely their original siren. It was later replaced by an ACA Screamer (used as a noon, six o'clock, fire, and tornado whistle) which has since been removed and a Federal 2001 is used for tornado warning only.

I'm trying to get some more historical pics from the business owner that might show this old siren in a clearer manner. But in the meantime, any possible ideas what it might have been? Late 1920s.

Thanks!

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:59 pm

michigantbolt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:31 pm
nb siren.jpg

Greetings from Michigan! Been a long time but am from way back to the Blake Woods and Adam Smith days of early internet siren forums!

Found this gem today on Facebook from a local hardware store in Michigan. As a fire department and siren buff, reading local history books stated that this particular town purchased their first fire siren in the late 1920s for $400 and some odd dollars. By the looks at the vehicle in front of building, this is likely their original siren. It was later replaced by an ACA Screamer (used as a noon, six o'clock, fire, and tornado whistle) which has since been removed and a Federal 2001 is used for tornado warning only.

I'm trying to get some more historical pics from the business owner that might show this old siren in a clearer manner. But in the meantime, any possible ideas what it might have been? Late 1920s.

Thanks!
You might want to fix your image URL. I'm interested to see what it is though!
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Mark N wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 am
Here's a bizarre one. Image
That would be a Sterling K-5. That's not the first one I've seen with that type of horn arrangement, and judging by this picture it appears that they aren't custom and could in fact be ordered with the siren itself. Cool find!
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

slamdunc09
New User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 am

I don't know anything about sirens, but couldn't help myself at a flea market today. The gentleman told me that it was a siren he bought a few years ago. He said that it had been removed from an old school that was being torn down. He said he removed many layers of paint to expose the copper and it put a CD sticker on it. He said that he and his neighbors can guarantee it works! It says Heath Engineering Laboratories Inc, San Francisco, Calif. No. F28 Volts 110

I'm wondering if anyone can help by providing any information about it's age, use, etc???

Mike

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 am

slamdunc09 wrote:
I don't know anything about sirens, but couldn't help myself at a flea market today. The gentleman told me that it was a siren he bought a few years ago. He said that it had been removed from an old school that was being torn down. He said he removed many layers of paint to expose the copper and it put a CD sticker on it. He said that he and his neighbors can guarantee it works! It says Heath Engineering Laboratories Inc, San Francisco, Calif. No. F28 Volts 110

I'm wondering if anyone can help by providing any information about it's age, use, etc???

Mike
Sounds like a Heath siren. A very rare piece! Do you have any photos by chance? The siren is probably from the 1920s or later.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

slamdunc09
New User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 am

I tried to attach photos with the post. If you want to send an email address, I can forward them.

Mike

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 am

Mark N wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 am
Here's a bizarre one. Image
That almost looks like a smaller version of a Toshiba siren.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

jgardner48

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:06 am

slamdunc09 wrote:

Mike
If its a genuine heath, then it has some (a lot) of rarity, I am curious about what it looks like, a picture would be awesome
Last edited by jgardner48 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 am

IIRC, wasn't there a video floating around of a Heath siren used as a bridge siren? I do remember it was of a guy playing Pokemon Go, when that was popular...
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:29 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 am
IIRC, wasn't there a video floating around of a Heath siren used as a bridge siren? I do remember it was of a guy playing Pokemon Go, when that was popular...
I don't remember that video. I do remember one going off in Pleasanton, CA after refurbishment however.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Mystery Sirens”