4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Re: Advice for siren video posters.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:37 pm

For the one about starting early, here's my two cents: Start at LEAST four minutes early. I've had sirens sound up to four minutes early, and believe me, having a little extra video to deal with/cut out is better than missing a wind up.

Also, try to have the sun at your back when recording a siren.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Daniel wrote:Another bit of advice: when giving your video a title, include the word "siren." There are other things in the world which use the same model numbers, and unless someone is searching strictly for a 3T22 or a SuperDecot Double Bansheelertor, they won't find your video at all.
If you don't put the world "siren" in the title, at least put it in the description.
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

kamkaran
New User

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 am

That's good advice and everyone should follow it.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Luke
YouTube Username: CentralPASirens

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 am

Sorry for the bump, but I have one that hasn't been covered at all yet. Make sure to always include a watermark of some sort to indicate ownership of your content. I've witnessed many instances of stolen videos before, so adding one will greatly reduce the risk of this. Anyway, here are a few pointers for adding a copyright stamp:
1. Pick a corner and put it there. Putting it in the center will interfere with the video.
2. Make it small enough that it doesn't conflict with the siren, but also make it large enough that it's easily readable.
3. Always include your name (or screen name) and the year of the recording.
Welcome to Pennsylvania, where test days are few and far between. However, where there is one, you can find the recordings here! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTiIF1 ... q5mZXtMDnw

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 am

I have one too:
At the end of a recording, if possible zoom out. This gives a good perspective of the area and distance.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Spencerlovestrains wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 pm
Daniel wrote:Another bit of advice: when giving your video a title, include the word "siren." There are other things in the world which use the same model numbers, and unless someone is searching strictly for a 3T22 or a SuperDecot Double Bansheelertor, they won't find your video at all.
If you don't put the world "siren" in the title, at least put it in the description.
Tagging also works wonders too; I always tag mine as general as possible for easy access.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Luke wrote:
Sorry for the bump, but I have one that hasn't been covered at all yet. Make sure to always include a watermark of some sort to indicate ownership of your content. I've witnessed many instances of stolen videos before, so adding one will greatly reduce the risk of this. Anyway, here are a few pointers for adding a copyright stamp:
1. Pick a corner and put it there. Putting it in the center will interfere with the video.
2. Make it small enough that it doesn't conflict with the siren, but also make it large enough that it's easily readable.
How do you create a watermark and add it to your video? I have always wanted to use one but can't figure out how
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Greenfield1003 wrote:
Luke wrote:
How do you create a watermark and add it to your video? I have always wanted to use one but can't figure out how
Do you have any video editing software on your computer, like Windows Live Movie Maker?
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Arteelx

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:47 pm

This reminds me of working in Corporate America. Some committee puts together a 90-page document full of rules you need to follow when doing the most basic thing. And as a result, all of the joy and passion that you once had has now been stomped out of your soul forever.

Here's my advice: Use your own judgement and make your video however you want. But if you're sloppy and it sucks, be aware the nobody will watch it. The end.
2T22 or not 2T22...THAT is the question.

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:39 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm
Greenfield1003 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Do you have any video editing software on your computer, like Windows Live Movie Maker?
I am having trouble installing it but my dad and I will look at it when we get the chance. Could you possibly make one using just YouTube video editor?
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Return to “Videos and Media”