bigtuna7O
YouTube Username: Big Tuna

Sirens Removal Question

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

I spoke with a company that does siren maintenance/installation/removal in DFW, and they said they were obligated by Federal Signal to destroy their Thunderbolts post removal. Not sellable, not legal, each unit must be completely destroyed. Can someone expand on why this is the case? Is this true on the whole of Federal sirens, or is the company in a unique position/mistaken?
My girlfriend does not understand this at all. Actually I really don't either.

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Re: Sirens Removal Question

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 pm

gee just destroy the unit? really gee just think of all the work it takes to make one of those thunderbolt the money it takes
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

bigtuna7O wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm
I spoke with a company that does siren maintenance/installation/removal in DFW, and they said they were obligated by Federal Signal to destroy their Thunderbolts post removal. Not sellable, not legal, each unit must be completely destroyed. Can someone expand on why this is the case? Is this true on the whole of Federal sirens, or is the company in a unique position/mistaken?
It is up to the county/EMA/state as to what they want to do with sirens that have been removed. Some send them away, some auction them, some destroy them, some leave them to rot out in the open and some use them as parts for existing sirens in the system.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 am

It is up to the person in charge of the siren system. Around here in Wisconsin Siren removal and "Disposal" is an extra charge at that point, it is up to the company to deal with what happens with it most siren deals chose to take what ever parts they need and scrap the rest. Some cities save them for parts others list them on Government Surplus Auction sites to be sold to other cities or people.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

bigtuna7O
YouTube Username: Big Tuna

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm

So the company is straight up misinformed? They were saying it was a directive of FS and ubiquitous. If the city is fine with them being given away, or are generally apathetic towards the siren's fate, should I argue with the company that they're wrong?
My girlfriend does not understand this at all. Actually I really don't either.

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:11 pm

bigtuna7O wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm
So the company is straight up misinformed? They were saying it was a directive of FS and ubiquitous. If the city is fine with them being given away, or are generally apathetic towards the siren's fate, should I argue with the company that they're wrong?
If the company has been told what to do, they will go by those instructions, and nothing else. If they deviate they will be blacklisted as a company at the least, or that is how stuff goes around here in the UK.

The company has been told what to do, and that is direct disposal of the sirens. They must follow that guideline unless it was the company itself that set them. If their client makes the plans as to how to manage the sirens after the company has taken them down said company must comply with the client if they wish to have their ties with the client intact.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 am

One really big reason is because they want to push newer sirens. What good is keeping Thunderbolts around going to do for Federal Signal or any of its affiliates, when they can make so much more on brand new 130's and 508's.

This is also why you hear some say that they replace their older sirens because they "can't find parts." Well, often that just simply isn't true. They don't know who to actually contact for said parts, and usually end up contacting a contractor that will insist on installing brand new sirens to replace their "outdated" technology. Now of course, in some cases, a replacement is for the better. This especially when replacing older (or even some newer) electronic sirens with mechanical sirens. That way, whoever is in charge of the siren unit(s) doesn't have to keep wasting money on new drivers.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 am

4J25 wrote:
One really big reason is because they want to push newer sirens. What good is keeping Thunderbolts around going to do for Federal Signal or any of its affiliates, when they can make so much more on brand new 130's and 508's.

This is also why you hear some say that they replace their older sirens because they "can't find parts." Well, often that just simply isn't true. They don't know who to actually contact for said parts, and usually end up contacting a contractor that will insist on installing brand new sirens to replace their "outdated" technology. Now of course, in some cases, a replacement is for the better. This especially when replacing older (or even some newer) electronic sirens with mechanical sirens. That way, whoever is in charge of the siren unit(s) doesn't have to keep wasting money on new drivers.
This is very true. In a Thunderbolt's case, pretty much any part can be found and the ones that can't be found, can easily be substituted for another part slightly modified, or just a slightly different part. Hell if you wanted to, you could rig up a belt-less rotator from a 2001 on a Thunderbolt and it would work just fine thanks to Federal never dropping the mechanism design, though you may have to get a more powerful motor to run the spur gear.
(I'm still waiting on someone to actually perform this operation.)

On the side, what does DFW mean? Dallas Fort Worth?
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 am
4J25 wrote:

This is very true. In a Thunderbolt's case, pretty much any part can be found and the ones that can't be found, can easily be substituted for another part slightly modified, or just a slightly different part. Hell if you wanted to, you could rig up a belt-less rotator from a 2001 on a Thunderbolt and it would work just fine thanks to Federal never dropping the mechanism design, though you may have to get a more powerful motor to run the spur gear.
(I'm still waiting on someone to actually perform this operation.)

On the side, what does DFW mean? Dallas Fort Worth?
Yes, DFW does stand for Dallas-Fort Worth. That jury rigging of 2001 components to a Thunderbolt definitely sounds like an interesting concept to say the least.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

MaineCivilDefense

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Why don't you call the city or Federal Signal? They should know the reason why. Perhaps maybe you could stop them from doing it.

It really is too bad that they want the thunderbolts to be destroyed.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”