Mac

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 am

I'm pro more sirens for the same amount of coverage :D

Around here- I'm just plain pro siren. None of ours except by the power plant have run in a long time...
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Daniel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

The German-made E-57 type of siren, and most other continental European sirens like it, is about the same size and output as a low tone Model 5, and their theory was the same: more smaller sirens, better coverage. If one fails, there will still be coverage from others. The main fault with using huge American sirens is that one T-128 or 2001 will usually replace three or four smaller sirens, and if it fails, there is no coverage at all.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

ACAP10

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 pm

Yep, it was the ones built by Horman. I saw one by the docks of Pearl Harbor, and one on Ford Island by the aviation museum. Anyone know what they sound like?

PS: Hawaii is a siren-spotters paradise. I've never seen so many sirens! Multiple Mod's (mostly green, but did see one white one), a white STH10, an STL10, quite a few DSA's, 2 old SD-10's, and my first iForce! Very neat looking sirens.

Jax
New User

Re: Would Pearl Harbor have had sirens?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 pm

I have on my desk an operational Federal Enterprises, Inc. Model A, 110v/120v Air Raid Siren that was in service on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941. Its Serial Number is 7A13M1.. My father was in the Navy and his destroyer was harbored at Pearl during the attack. When our family returned there in the 50"s, he came across the relic when they were "upgrading" after the war. He kept it as a memento of the attack he survived. Ten years later it became mine on his passing. I sound the alarm at 7 am each December 7th. Most of my neighbors .don'tr catch the significance, I'm afraid..

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm

kswx29 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 am
?
That's a Hormann ECN 2400 / 3000. Only sound of both sirens can only differ both. If I got it right, the 2400 has a lower pitch than a 3000.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Care to explain how that adds to a long dead thread?
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

E57
YouTube Username: Badischer Heuler

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm

FahmiRBLX wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm
kswx29 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 am
?
That's a Hormann ECN 2400 / 3000. Only sound of both sirens can only differ both. If I got it right, the 2400 has a lower pitch than a 3000.
Sorry, but this information is not correct. They do sound the same! You have to count the amount of the horns to get the model. And that one in the picture looks to be a Hörmann ECN 3000.

All manufacturer of German electronic sirens (Hörmann, Helin, Sonnenburg etc.) offer two tones, a dual ton (415/425 Hz) and a single tone (420 Hz).
But there is one exception, the company PSE Elektronik. They offer also a dual tone model but not with 415/425 Hz, but with 405/415 Hz.
German siren enthusiast
I apologize for possible mistakes in grammar or language, English isn't my native language.

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for correcting.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:17 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pearl Harbor naval base had at least some kind of warning system prior to 12/7/41... However during the attack it would have proved futile as the US was completely caught off guard by it for misidentifying the attackers as a flight of B-17s from the mainland. If they did have one my guess would probably be Federals of some kind. During WWII Federal seemed to be the most popular siren. I have various USAAF scrapbooks from the time (Before 1947, as that's when it became the US Air Force) and in some of the photos you can see older Federals, like Model 2s, 5s, etc. in the background. If I dig them out eventually I'll post them here. I do know for a fact later on they had a system of Thunderbolts. My mom's brother (my uncle) was stationed at Pearl Harbor from 1980-1982 and he mentioned hearing them test a couple times. I asked him what he looked like, and he said horns that looked like rotting bananas. I played him a video I shot of a Thunderbolt and he said they sounded exactly like the one in the video.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”