Chriswg

Thunderbolt Removal - Easiest method

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone elaborate or provide pictures as to the connections on either end of the piping for a bolt? I am trying to figure out whether we need to cut below the horn where the main pipe enters or can it be unbolted (The pipe is considerably long).

Additionally, was it typical to bolt the blower casing to the floor if interior and again will the pipe coming out of the blower need cut or can it be unbolted.

Trying to make removal of a number of these a little easier.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Re: Thunderbolt Removal - Easiest method

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm

When I purchased my Thunderbolt, the standpipe was cut about three inches below the mounting flange on the head and about six inches past the frame on the blower assembly.
Blower Standpipe Cut.JPG
The standpipe is threaded to the blower assembly with an elbow joint.
Blower Standpipe Threading.JPG
On the bottom of the rotator frame on the siren head there is a four bolt mounting flange with a threaded end for the standpipe to thread into.
Horn Mounting Flange.JPG
Horn Mounting Flange.JPG (46.56 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
This flange bolts to the bottom of the rotator frame with four matching holes.
Thunderbolt Rotator Frame.JPG

Unbolt the flange by the four bolts and the head should slide off the standpipe.

Chriswg

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Gotcha, looks like it'll need lifted off and the pipe cut to get the flange with it.

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:07 am

if your able to chris, get them to leave at least 4-5 feet of the pipe attached to the flange when removing it. you can have this piece of pipe re-threaded later and install it to the siren blower in the roof mount configuration. if you cut the pipe too short like jeffs flange assembly pictures above you will have a hard time removing the inner sleeve pipe to use it on a new piece of 3" schedule 40 conduit as the sleeve pipe that goes into the head is welded inside the origional 3" standpipe,plus the flange will be a pain to get off if you cut it too short. take it from someone who has made this mistake.
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Eeyoreluvsme wrote:If you cut the pipe too short like Jeff's flange assembly pictures above you will have a hard time removing the inner sleeve pipe to use it on a new piece of 3" schedule 40 conduit as the sleeve pipe that goes into the head is welded inside the original 3" standpipe,plus the flange will be a pain to get off if you cut it too short. take it from someone who has made this mistake.

I definitely agree with having the standpipe cut longer than mine was. Getting the standpipe and flange out from the rotator frame was a bit difficult with all of the corrosion weathered paint. Not to mention my sleeve pipe is now probably too short to be reused.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”