Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Re: Federal Enterprises 500 Siren.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:16 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:There was an elusive 500-AT in Lombard, but it has never been confirmed. Here is a photo from the Siren Enthusiast Facebook page (Steven Z's photo):
Yes that is my photo from Facebook. And yes, its a confirmed 500.

SuperBanshee

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:47 pm

I'm intrigued about the one photo - I was certain it showed the old 500 under a tarp. If it's not the 500, perhaps it's that strange flag-like object behind the siren seen in the Google Maps picture. I seem to recall people thought it was a Thunderbolt even though it doesn't look to be.

The Google Maps view shows the 500's nice deep red color - this was one of Federal's alternative paint schemes during the 1950s, sometimes used for non-Civil Defense sirens. This helped to differentiate from sirens reserved for Civil Defense which were usually Sunshine Yellow. In truth there was little consistency with this practice as many sirens were painted yellow no matter what their purpose was. The 500-SH in Reedburg, WI was painted yellow even though it is a fire siren.

With enough time and patience I'm sure a more extensive list of 500 locations can be compiled. Old city records, photos, and eyewitness accounts would be most useful. Another location that evaded my earlier post was Richmond, Minnesota. A nice photo of it, an Erick siren, and a fire bell can be found on Wikipedia. From what scant detail can be made out, it appears to be a 1970-1981 model since the intake assembly cannot be seen along the projector screen.
A direct link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2013 ... mondMN.jpg

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Here we go SuperBanshee. I found this video on YouTube. From what the cam recorder says he filmed this back in 2003. The location was in Madison, Wisconsin and it was located at a park somewhere. Not sure which park though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkIuC4t-y0
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

SuperBanshee

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 pm

That one was located on Charleen Lane near McGinnis Park. It sounds great in the video but unfortunately it is gone. The one on Hammersley Road appears to have been the last 500AT left in Madison, and it will be gone soon if it isn't already.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:46 am

If someone made a list of all known 500's, so much of that list would be in Los Angeles...
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:53 am

And somehow we wound up with one here in Georgia.

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Isn't there also a 500AT in Dundee, MI?
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

SuperBanshee

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Yes - the one in Dundee, Michigan was installed in March 1970 which would make it one of the very last 500-SHTTs to use the 10-12 chopper. It is still in service as a fire siren, sounding the "Attack" wail signal for fire calls. In fact the Attack signal was originally the fire departments' preferred call signal before the dawn of Civil Defense. The fire department had this siren rebuilt in 2008-2009 and they changed the gearbox or belts so it rotates much faster than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iWDtVkUaKg

coastalsyrolover

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:30 pm

holler wrote:And somehow we wound up with one here in Georgia.
One from LA or one originally put in service there?
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:46 am

coastalsyrolover wrote:
holler wrote:And somehow we wound up with one here in Georgia.
One from LA or one originally put in service there?
Original installation from sometime in the mid-1960s. It's the 500SH-TT in Byron, GA that we've recorded several times in the past. It wasn't originally installed on that particular water tower that it's on now though; it used to be way up on the upper brace of the old water tower in downtown where its original mounting platform still remains, which is identical to the platform mounted to the water tower that it's on now. I'm not sure when it was moved to the newer water tower or why, but I would imagine it was done no later than sometime in the 90s since the water tower is fairly old now.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”