Vey198885

Re: Battle Creek, MI ATI HPSS-16R?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Is the EOWS in Battle Creek gone or still there? I saw a video and it didn't seem in good shape :/

lkreykes

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Vey198885 wrote:Is the EOWS in Battle Creek gone or still there? I saw a video and it didn't seem in good shape :/
As far as I know, both of them are still there, although the video of one of them showed it rotating very slowly.
im scared

Vey198885

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:49 pm

lkreykes wrote:
Vey198885 wrote:Is the EOWS in Battle Creek gone or still there? I saw a video and it didn't seem in good shape :/
As far as I know, both of them are still there, although the video of one of them showed it rotating very slowly.
That's the one :)

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:31 am

Someone should record one of these rotating ati's up close doing this tone. And ati's running the low tone can do attack, there's a video of a directional HPSS 1600 doing attack along with a 3t22.
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

lkreykes

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:46 am

JMAN12343610 wrote:Someone should record one of these rotating ati's up close doing this tone. And ati's running the low tone can do attack, there's a video of a directional HPSS 1600 doing attack along with a 3t22.
Thinking about going to next month's test just for one of these. Also I was just going off of what the uploader said but its questionable as to why the county would exclude the ATIs from attack, if they even do that in the first place which is sort of doubtful but you never know.
im scared

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 am

It's possible that their controllers just weren't setup for it. That 612 looks like it's about to kick the bucket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2KH0aT3jI
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

lkreykes

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 am

DJ2226 wrote:It's possible that their controllers just weren't setup for it. That 612 looks like it's about to kick the bucket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2KH0aT3jI
And that video is from 2011, so who knows if the EMA has even touched it since, and if not, what the siren is like now :O Streetview for that 612 in particular hasn't been updated since 2012, but Streetview for the other 612 still shows it being there as of September, 2015.
im scared

rdfox

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:50 am

For the record, the 612 at Riverside Elementary had a close call back in 2011, when an EF1 tornado came through about a quarter mile south of it. Always had a soft spot for the 612 because I was attending Riverside (third or fourth grade) when it was installed. We'd seen it get installed a few days before, and then one morning, the teacher told us that they were going to test it and hook it up to the system sometime that day, so it might interrupt class. We were all expecting to get our ears blown off with the normal siren tones when, a bit before lunch... *WESTMINSTER CHIMES* and we're all wondering what it was, only to have the teacher tell us that was the test.

I was convinced they'd have to test it again soon, because that clearly meant that something was wrong with it!

(This also explains why I long thought that all sirens were basically giant loudspeakers...)

lkreykes

Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:02 am

rdfox wrote:For the record, the 612 at Riverside Elementary had a close call back in 2011, when an EF1 tornado came through about a quarter mile south of it. Always had a soft spot for the 612 because I was attending Riverside (third or fourth grade) when it was installed. We'd seen it get installed a few days before, and then one morning, the teacher told us that they were going to test it and hook it up to the system sometime that day, so it might interrupt class. We were all expecting to get our ears blown off with the normal siren tones when, a bit before lunch... *WESTMINSTER CHIMES* and we're all wondering what it was, only to have the teacher tell us that was the test.

I was convinced they'd have to test it again soon, because that clearly meant that something was wrong with it!

(This also explains why I long thought that all sirens were basically giant loudspeakers...)
Half of my family lives in the Battle Creek area and I've definitely been over by both schools with the 612s and I've never even noticed them before, so at least you acknowledged that there was a siren there lol. I made a map of the sirens in the Calhoun County system, and so far I'm pretty sure I got them all. Do you know of any other locations in the map that I missed? https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing I heard that there is a Model 5/7 in Springfield but I'm not sure where.
im scared

rdfox

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:37 am

Sadly, I moved out of Battle Creek over a decade ago, before I really got into the siren hobby, so I can't say that I know from personal experience where any others are. However...

A while back, someone posted a video of a test of the downtown 1000T, complete with the ham radio traffic reporting the test results. Between that and a bit of G-maps detective work, here's my listing of the sirens they called out, and a listing of where/what they are, when I was able to ID them.

General Foods Cliff Street--Post plant SD-10
Verona School Northeast Capital--Thunderbeam(!) behind the school
Washington School North Washington--Rotating ATI along Linear Park in front of school
Former Transamerica Tower, Michigan Avenue and McCamly Street--4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T on tower roof
Urbandale School Bedford Road--4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T on SW side of school along Oakley
Riverside School Riverside Drive--EOWS 612 SE of school just off Riverside Drive
Water tower Eldred Street--Rotating ATI SE of the McCrae Park water tanks
Bedford Fire Station #3 North Avenue Market Road--?? Not sure where this even IS...
Bedford Township Offices West Michigan--Model 3/5/7 on back side of roof
Bedford Village M-37 fire station--Model 3/5/7 on pole on back of roof
Math & Science Center--No siren evident in Google Street View or Maps
the Golf Course--Not a clue, couldn't find any signs of a siren at the nearest golf course
I-94 East Helmer Road--Rotating ATI behind eastbound I-94 rest area
Beckley Road Capital Avenue water tower--Rotating ATI just W of water tank

Of course, I'm not sure if the Math & Science Center is still at the old Springfield High School site. I think you found the Fire Station #3 one, and the two hidden almost in a tree might be the M&SC and "golf course" ones.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_w02_7eXk

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”