kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:23 pm

:evil: FUDGE!!!! I had no idea that there was a siren system at the Pitchess Detention Center RIGHT HERE IN MY BACKYARD! I also had no idea that they were going to DO A TEST yesterday THAT I MISSED :oops:

Here's a scan of the article in today's Los Angeles Daily News: (If the image won't come up, see below where I transcribed the highlights)

The Peter Pitchess Jail is located in Hasley Canyon, just North of Santa Clarita and Hwy 126. They said that this test was of seven sirens, including one new siren just installed in the new Te' Soro subdivision, blared Wednesday at 10:00 AM for this test. The purpose of the system is to warn neighbors of escaped inmates. The article does not state whether there will be any future test schedule.

Now my curiosity is killing me, and I think my Sunday motorcycle ride will be to locate, ID, and photograph those sirens...

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:09 pm

Anyone planning on going to Huntington Beach this Friday?

I missed it in October, so I might try again. I'm still all screwed up (for time) because I am in the middle of moving, but I'll sure try to get down there. If I go, I will still try to railroad the fire station personnel into blowing a full blast this time :P

Charles

CABLEVision

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:30 am

I probably will. WE'll see how things turn out.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Re: So. California fall siren tests

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:14 pm

This is a HUGE thread bump; 9 years or more... This is not a typical post to an old thread, and Thank You to the Admins for letting me do it in good standing.

It was 9 years ago today, that I went down to Huntington Beach to hear the second-to-last test of the Thunderbolt at Warner Park. Another ARS member was there too; Cablevision, and it was my first time to hear a T-Bolt in person (even though it was barely a low growl). Now the rest of the story is the reason I felt I had to bump this thread and share something else. That test was NOT just a test of the Huntington Beach sirens... It was a test to see just how much a young lady was into me, since I knew that if she tolerated a 150-mile round trip in Friday traffic, just to hear a siren, that it might mean something... It was my first unofficial date with Kay, and today is our 8th wedding anniversary, and 9-year anniversary of what we declare as our beginning :love: ! I had to be very secretive about just who "that other person" was, for various reasons at the time, and that's why no introduction or mention in the video from '06.

Thank you to the members of ARS then and now, and especially to Cablevision and Soundoff for also going to that test day, and for making me know, that albeit weird, I'm not the only siren freak out there. And thank you to Kay, for being the other half of my life, and for putting up with my weird interests!

Charles
Attachments
Kay and me 2-14-15.jpg
Kay and me 2-14-15.jpg (535.81 KiB) Viewed 4985 times

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm

AllSafe wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:45 am
It's a Toshiba blower-fed siren. Single-tone, 120dbC. They are the only ones known to exist in the US. The power plant and the sirens were both installed by Toshiba.
Bump. As said multiple times the old SONGS sirens weren't made by Toshiba. They were designed by a now retired SONGS employee named John Glenn Powell and they were removed in Jan 2006 and replaced with Whelen 2810s and 2806s in March of the same year. I have called John and he told me that they were installed in 1982. He couldn't talk for that long because he was going somewhere but he said he will get back to me soon. He doesn't know where they went after they have been replaced since he retired in 2003 ,He told me to ask SONGS and thats good because Ill be taking a tour in a few weeks.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

coastalsyrolover

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Dude... this was made back in 2006... people thought it was toshiba back then. But bringing new info to light I will say that the Huntington Beach siren system now contains (I think) 3 t128s. The 128s are awesome sirens but it sounds to me like they got a pretty decent coverage loss considering they supposedly had more sirens.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 am

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm
Dude... this was made back in 2006... people thought it was toshiba back then. But bringing new info to light I will say that the Huntington Beach siren system now contains (I think) 3 t128s. The 128s are awesome sirens but it sounds to me like they got a pretty decent coverage loss considering they supposedly had more sirens.
Huntington beach has 6 ASC T-128s and 2 2001-SRNs ,The T-128s replaced Thunderbolt 1000s ,but I believe the 2 SRNs may have been added in sometime in the 90s with the T-bolts possibly to increase coverage.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”