Jonas Clark

Re: Seattle/Tacoma Thunderbolts

Sun May 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Okay, in Kelso, I've only seen those visible easily from the freeway, but I've seen two from the freeway. One of them is siren no. 3 on the map, on Burcham St. But there is, or was, another Thunderbolt a little ways north of there, also on the east side of I-5, its pole mounted less than 15 feet from the freeway. I don't see it on the map, but on my last trip I looked and thought I missed it. Is it not on the map because it got removed in the past few years?

Edit: I found the one south of Kalama, on Todd Road, but I thought I'd seen one north of Kelso a bit, also immediately beside the freeway. I could easily be thinking of the one down south.

Daniel

Mon May 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Here's a 1003 I just found this morning in Stevenson.

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

coastalsyrolover

Mon May 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Daniel wrote:Here's a 1003 I just found this morning in Stevenson.

Oh good they still have it up! I thought you already knew about it Daniel? What with all of the mentioning of it on here... For anyone wanting to know though it isn't used. Pagers replaced it.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Daniel

Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm

There's also a 3T22 in Carson, if I hadn't mentioned it before. I'm currently sitting in a Portland cigar lounge, and I'm always looking to see if there are any Buell horns left in the old industrial areas.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

coastalsyrolover

Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Daniel wrote:There's also a 3T22 in Carson, if I hadn't mentioned it before. I'm currently sitting in a Portland cigar lounge, and I'm always looking to see if there are any Buell horns left in the old industrial areas.
If you find one I have got to see it. As for the topic and the OP mister joe clark I think your best bet to finding any thunderbolt that was even of a simaler style to the ones in seattle and tacoma is the jailbar one in yakima. I am gonna try to get video of it going off.

Jonas Clark

Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Are you mixing up TelcoJoe and me, Jonas Clark? :D It does happen.

I haven't seen any in Yakima, have spent very little time there, but the jailbar one there is still in use? Must be the only Thunderbolt in Washington that runs(?)

coastalsyrolover

Tue May 12, 2015 2:41 am

Jonas Clark wrote:Are you mixing up TelcoJoe and me, Jonas Clark? :D It does happen.

I haven't seen any in Yakima, have spent very little time there, but the jailbar one there is still in use? Must be the only Thunderbolt in Washington that runs(?)
Sorry yes I did mix you guys up XD TelcoJoe that one up there is for you! And yes it is still used. But believe it or not it is not used for any natural disaster or noon blast or even volunteer fire (even though it was for a little while...) it's used simply because it's the sound of the cities history and after a noise permit is acquired they let her run. They even say that they can hear it from VERY far away. (I am not obsessing but I am going to mention the video that TommyBNSF put up of the Ottawa thunderbolt being heard from 9 miles away. Why do I mention that? Because the cities the manager mentioned were 5 to 9 miles away from the siren.) but yes... Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it's the only running thunderbolt in the PNW unless the OSU one near Astoria actually got put up... Let alone the only Jailbar one. (Unless the hornless one there in Yakima was Jailbar...) whew anyways sorry for that... But for anyone in the PNW who wants to hear what the Seattle thunderbolts sounded like the Yakima Jailbar one would probably be the best option. If someone from the area finds the Astoria one though that would be a great option too.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”