ACAPenetrator50
YouTube Username: ACAPenetrator50

Re: Oregon's Thunderbolt is down! They're taking them all!

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Someone commented on my T-135 video saying that Black Earth replaced the Penetrator and 1212 with a T-1XX, but I'm not sure what type of siren it is. I wonder what other sirens have been replaced recently...

turtlbrdr
YouTube Username: Vdeil

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:49 am

ACAPenetrator50 wrote:Someone commented on my T-135 video saying that Black Earth replaced the Penetrator and 1212 with a T-1XX, but I'm not sure what type of siren it is. I wonder what other sirens have been replaced recently...
Recently? It would have had to be in the past 3 weeks or so.

ACAPenetrator50

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:52 am

The comment was posted on the 22nd, so I assume it was pretty recent. I commented back asking what type of siren it is, so hopefully we'll get to know what and where it is.

turtlbrdr

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:29 pm

I apologize, I was thinking about Mount Horebs for some reason. Black Earth I suppose I knew about (or rather if you asked, I would be able to tell you it isn't there). I will probably have to see what's out there, I don't know when the next streetview/satellite pass will be, which is how I do most of my work.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Probably replaced it with an Equinox. I'm glad to hear that there's a chance that those old ones can be saved. How old are the Perf+'s in that county? I'm wondering why ACA went with 9 ports for that siren instead of 8 port. I'm thinking that they had found that the higher pitch was able to carry pretty good, so when they built it the aim could have been to make a smaller chopper capable of being driven off a much smaller motor and take advantage of the pitch. It and the RM-130 seem to take better advantage of the sound being produced by the chopper better than the RM-127. I'd love to get ahold of one and a single toned p-15 and compare their performance.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

ACAPenetrator50

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:21 pm

The commenter said he thinks that it's a T-128, but he's not sure. He said it is big enough to cover the entire town, though, so I'm pretty sure it's not a -135 because the town is fairly small.

dilloncarpenter

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 am

Did you not think to include that some people use old sirens for their own business? After huge success with Upson County, I would imagine that Jeb has people lined up for his work. They don't always go to sit in someone's garage or back yard. I would have put more emphasis on that than the siren meets.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Some of the siren manufacturers frown up refurbishment. An old siren that gets a new lease on life isn't making them any money, but a new one is. I've seen the attitude range from enthusiastic to downright hostile, complete with harassment from sales representatives.

This is how you wind up with older AC siren systems getting thrown in the dumpster and replaced with new stuff. It's a big political game.

turtlbrdr

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:15 pm

dilloncarpenter wrote:Did you not think to include that some people use old sirens for their own business? After huge success with Upson County, I would imagine that Jeb has people lined up for his work. They don't always go to sit in someone's garage or back yard. I would have put more emphasis on that than the siren meets.

I did mention that point when we talked on the phone. He is very well convinced that they are not worth the change of repairing/restoring/upkeep.

dilloncarpenter

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Well that's quite a shame, no wonder there are still so many places without outdoor warning when they need it.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”