LukeH

Lansing MI mystery siren solved

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 am

The northwest Lansing (Eaton and Webster former fire department) mystery siren has been solved. Not much has been found online about this department or it's age, however the small fire siren has been identified as a Sparks-Withington/Spartan Model 35 by a member of the Facebook page who posted the advertisement pictured below

The siren in question:

Zoomed:

The Add:
Photo Credit Michael Borjas

Very happy to finally know what this thing is. For years I thought it was a model A, I first remember seeing it as a kid.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Re: Lansing MI mystery siren solved

Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 am

That has to be one of the last Spartan sirens in existence. It might even be the last one of that model in existence!
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am

There is actually a Spartan model 37/38/39 in Chisolm MN on top of the fire station. Unfortunately, there s a 2001-DC a cross the street from it. I will do some scouring for the picture, I have a physical photograph of the siren but I'll bet the other pic is long gone. I saw the siren about 3-4 years ago.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

sirendude2012
YouTube Username: legomn54321

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 am

freebrickproductions wrote:That has to be one of the last Sparton sirens in existence. It might even be the last one of that model in existence!
It isn't the last Sparton in existence. The last 35 in existence could very well be true, but let's not believe an opinion until it is proven as a fact.

If you look at the ad, Sparton made larger sirens name the 37, 38, and 39. The 38 has been photographed on the ARS. The 37 is nearly unheard of, and the 39 we may have mistaken for Siro-Drones before- they look strikingly similar to each other. I'll try to find the ad that contained a photo of the 39, we should learn more about Sparks-Withington's sirens and put the info out here for the benefit of the community. Never hurts to know more about sirens.

I've got a Sparton siren in my cross-hairs for acquisition as well, though it's one of their larger models (a 37, if you're curious). If you can snag that 35, do it. Sparton sirens are hard to come across. If you get it, you should get as much info as you can about that siren and put it here- the community knows very little about these sirens.
Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:There is actually a Spartan model 37/38/39 in Chisolm MN on top of the fire station.
If it looks like an old A/C unit or Water Heater with lots of louvers in it, it's a 37/38. If it's tall, it's a 38. If it's short, it's a 37. If it looks like an HOR Siro-Drone, it's a 39.
THUNDERBOLT HAS BEEN SOLD

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm

sirendude2012 wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:That has to be one of the last Sparton sirens in existence. It might even be the last one of that model in existence!
It isn't the last Sparton in existence. The last 35 in existence could very well be true, but let's not believe an opinion until it is proven as a fact.
I said one of the last in existence. Not the last. I knew that there are more than existence.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

r4tbolts

Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Nice story and pics. Lansing doesn't seem too have much siren history pre Thunderbolts. I have often wondered what sirens were before the T-bolts. Seems they would have had something in WWII times and the 50's being the big industrial town it was.

Last I knew, City of Jackson still has a Sparton (the kind of bell shaped cap type) on top of Fire Station 3 (closed) at Chester and Pringle. It's been a while since I was by there, I'll try to get a pic if still there (not the best area of town to be snapping siren pics, plus with a School near by it's a weekend project).

There used to be a Sparton on the roof of Station 2 also but it was removed. A third Sparton was at the Airport on the Aeroquip hangar that siren too is long gone. 2001's replaced the Sparton sirens on Jackson Stations 2 and 3 several years ago. The Sparton sirens in Jackson were used as Civil Defense sirens back in the day.

The pics below are from Cement City, MI FD. Looks a lot like the siren on the brochure except for the cap which looks a little newer than the srien.

[img][IMG]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/r4tbolts/MARCH31030.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][/i[IMG]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/r4tbolts/MARCH31030-1.jpg[/img]mg]

FunnelVortex

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:08 pm

r4tbolts wrote:Nice story and pics. Lansing doesn't seem too have much siren history pre Thunderbolts. I have often wondered what sirens were before the T-bolts. Seems they would have had something in WWII times and the 50's being the big industrial town it was.

Last I knew, City of Jackson still has a Sparton (the kind of bell shaped cap type) on top of Fire Station 3 (closed) at Chester and Pringle. It's been a while since I was by there, I'll try to get a pic if still there (not the best area of town to be snapping siren pics, plus with a School near by it's a weekend project).

There used to be a Sparton on the roof of Station 2 also but it was removed. A third Sparton was at the Airport on the Aeroquip hangar that siren too is long gone. 2001's replaced the Sparton sirens on Jackson Stations 2 and 3 several years ago. The Sparton sirens in Jackson were used as Civil Defense sirens back in the day.

The pics below are from Cement City, MI FD. Looks a lot like the siren on the brochure except for the cap which looks a little newer than the srien.

[img][IMG]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/r4tbolts/MARCH31030.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][/i[IMG]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/r4tbolts/MARCH31030-1.jpg[/img]mg]

The model 2 came before the Thunderbolt, if I am correct.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Adam Pollak has a Spartan model 38. Ask him about it.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Heres what a 37 looks like on the inside...
2014-10-24 2014-10-24 001 001.JPG
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 pm

That's a weird looking chopper and stator.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”