Mac

WWII Navy Klaxon - new toy awaiting restoration

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

I've wanted one of these babies for a long time. They're hard to find, and I was really lucky on this one! Currently untested until I build a rectifier.
Not sure what is in the restoration plans for it after making it functional.

They've made a few different models of these, and I think they might still? I believe from the design of this one though, that it is WWII? I've seen them with brass components, but this seems to be all steel and cast. Anyone know anything more about them?

Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

landmobile

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Interesting find, what type of Navy platform used 115 VDC?
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

elc32955
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:08 am

Some submarines used DC for their diving alarm horns. When you hit the contact maker to sound the alarm, multiple contacts were activated. One set went to the IC switchboard to activate the manual horns, another went to the Battle Announcing system and activated an oscillator over the 1MC that sounded like a sick cow. Sometimes you found Benjamin H-9 horns, sometimes H-8's. The design on the horn is good for anywhere from mid WW2 all the way into the 70's, but it's a early one as evidenced by the "Federal Electric" build. I'd bet it's a 1940's or 50's horn.

H-8 horns were also used on carriers for flight deck warning and also aircraft elevator movement. Sometimes they were used in Main Engine Control on larger ships for signalling, also on ships like LST's for door warnings. Lot of different uses. When I was on the Battleship Alabama in Mobile late last year I found a H-8 horn tucked up in the overhead in the rear of the conning tower area. It wasn't flagged as to which circuit it was, so many tags and labels get lost after 60 years of tourists pawing through things.

I'm just finishing up a H-9 restoration along with a matching contact maker, it'll be a diving alarm setup.

Eric

landmobile

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks Eric,

I will have to keep my eyes open the next time I tour a ship or sub. We have taken the kids aboard vessels in Philadelphia, Buffalo and Fall River.

Chris
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

Daniel

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:22 pm

I have one of these klaxons with a 115VDC motor that works fine on straight AC without a rectifier. However, I don't know if long-term use will damage it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm

They have one of these things hanging up in the Navy museum in DC, complete with a button to activate it. I love being evil and scaring people inside the submarine room with it :twisted:
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”