Rheems1

Federal Q question

Wed May 18, 2016 10:27 pm

I may have posted this before, I am getting old and can't remember.... we are all familiar with the Federal Q on fire apparatus and know how they sound. I have been trying to figure this out for awhile, there are some versions of the Q that has a slower wind up and don't peak as high... looking at them they look the same as a normal Federal Q but there is something different with them. Anyone have a clue as to what was different? I always thought this was the A series of Federal Q but I can't seem to find a reference to them. If you watch the video below there are 3 pieces of apparatus making this corner, Engine 2-1 from Waynesboro is first.. it has a normal Q, Engine 4-2 from Blue Ridge Summit is next and it also has a normal Q, the third engine is from the Leitersburg Fire Department in Washington County, MD and it has the Q I am talking about. Any thoughts my fellow countrymen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6coQNsvVevE

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Re: Federal Q question

Thu May 19, 2016 1:20 am

Could it just be the electrical system on the vehicle? or maybe different number of ports?
Whatever you do, don't push that big red buttonđź”´!!!

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 am

It could be a Q2A vs Q2B thing.
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 am

gman 1 wrote:Could it just be the electrical system on the vehicle? or maybe different number of ports?
Federal Q's have always had the same number of ports (15, IIRC?). I'm not a total expert on apparatus sirens, but I would say either the strain on the vehicles electrical system or the wear on the siren itself.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu May 19, 2016 11:57 pm

They've used several different types of starters motors over the years which has an effect, but most of the time it's just the electrical system (smaller wire, corroded connections, alternator and battery too small, etc.).

Jake, the only difference between Q2A and Q2B is the B has a brake

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am

JasonC wrote: Jake, the only difference between Q2B and Q2B is the B has a brake
Don't you mean Q2 and Q2B? :P
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Unit of Civil Defense

Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 am

Sounds like it might have foot switch or a Captains switch (usually located on the dash in front of the Captain) Local apparatus has/had the air horns activated by a switch on the dash in front of the Captain. I think that the retired apparatus from here that ran "Q"s ran foot switches(late 40's - mid-late 50's American LaFrance mostly) Push buttons on the dash looked like an upside down thimble mounted with in a simple face plate that was pushed like a door bell...foot switch's looked like a dimmer switch (go ask grampa) either operated by the driver or Captain. As long as the switch is pushed the "Q" is running, let off of the switch for a wind down. I.M.H.O the switched "Q" as I described sounds more like what I heard 40 + years ago(because that's how it was done back then) verses a "Q" that can be activated off of the steering wheel or master siren control like what it sounds like with the first 2 responding units .
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun May 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Valtonus wrote:
JasonC wrote: Jake, the only difference between Q2B and Q2B is the B has a brake
Don't you mean Q2 and Q2B? :P

Whoops, fixed!

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”