Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Re: I bought a Siratrol box!

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:22 am

Very late update, but on Monday, my stuff came!
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Valra Bellkeys

Re: I bought a Siratrol box!(Now with pictures!)

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:56 pm

I finally decided to get off my butt and actually post the pictures. :P
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Valra Bellkeys

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 am

elc32955 wrote:Yep, according to the nameplate from the EBAY item that's a low-band unit. You're not going to get that receiver to UHF without a forklift upgrade. You are limited to probably a small band segment (probably 42-50 MHZ) with that receiver board. If you DID want to change frequencies within the capability of the board you'd have to order a replacement crystal for the frequency you wanted, unsolder the old and solder in the new, then align the receiver with a service monitor, or a RF signal generator and appropriate voltmeter to dip/peak as necessary. And use the proper tuning tools. Now, if you're a ham radio operator you MIGHT be able to get the board into the 6-meter band (54 MHZ), although I'm not quite sure what you could switch with it there...

Eric

So, I have a few questions. If I wanted to activate it, couldn't I get a crystal for a high frequency, like a public/unused one? Also, if I did get a crystal, can I get a dtmf pad for my scanner and plug it into the microphone, and activate it like that? So right now I'm focused on the crystal, since even if I wanted too, I wouldn't be able to activate it since my scanner is a high freq scanner/radio. The radio I have is a Baofeng UV-5R If I can't get a crystal for high frequencies, how can I activate in low freq's without a license? And what equipment would I need?

Derpulator5020
Read Only
YouTube Username: Quentin Richards

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:13 am

What siren do you plan on hooking that up with?

Valra Bellkeys

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:01 am

My Model L.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Valtonus wrote:
So, I have a few questions. If I wanted to activate it, couldn't I get a crystal for a high frequency, like a public/unused one? Also, if I did get a crystal, can I get a dtmf pad for my scanner and plug it into the microphone, and activate it like that? So right now I'm focused on the crystal, since even if I wanted too, I wouldn't be able to activate it since my scanner is a high freq scanner/radio. The radio I have is a Baofeng UV-5R If I can't get a crystal for high frequencies, how can I activate in low freq's without a license? And what equipment would I need?

Your Siratrol receiver is pretty cool, but forget about changing the frequencies on it

elc32955
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:45 am

OK. If you are really serious about working on this unit, the first thing you should do is pull down the PDF of the Siratrol manual and read it over so you can get a sense of what the equipment can do as you have it. According to the book (found it in about 2 mins with a Google search), the receiver board you have will actually do 30-54 MHZ, so you cover the 6 meter ham band with it and I'd bet you could sufficiently drop it to get into 10 meters if you really wanted to - if you have a ham license of course. However, with a low band board you don't really have many practical options unless you hold a commercial license for a business channel.

It's not enough to just purchase a crystal and solder it in place of another one, you have to align the receiver and make sure it's on frequency to whatever channel you select. And, no you can't make a low band receiver do VHF or UHF. If by some unlikely chance you did find an frequency for low power operation and you ordered & changed the crystal, you had better have a DC voltmeter, an RF signal generator that can also generate 1000hz for alignment, and a frequency standard for discriminator adjustment handy to realign the receiver. A radio shop can do it for you, but you're looking at bench charges, probably .5/hr labor minimum. Shops now typically charge $80/hr and up for labor. You specifically asked about equipment - so that's the minimum you need to bench the unit for a channel change. Oh, and all the necessary probes, clips etc... to attach to the test points and do RF signal injection, not to mention a soldering iron, a desolder station (or solder wick) to work on the board, and a new crystal itself for the crystal swap.

If you want to do either VHF high band or UHF, you're going to need to find a used receiver board somewhere and swap it out. You now have an additional problem on VHF and UHF in that the Siratrol RF boards are older technology and will probably have adjacent channel receive issues with the new narrow-band standards now in effect if you have an adjacent channel user (ducting, CCI, etc etc...).

The 30-second version of all this is that the low band receive board is a paperweight. Dump it & get another board if you want to do anything serious with the unit. And brace your wallet because you're fixing to spend probably three figures to get it running on a VHF or UHF channel. Before you play with the tone decoding.
Brevard County EM - retired (31 years govt. service), it's mid-point career change time! Also system operator of http://www.newcaprice.com, the support site for privately owned Caprice PPV's.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”