3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Re: Why aren't there more videos of fire horns?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Rheems1 wrote:It looks like condensation that was built up being purged just prior to them sounding, if you have a humid day they will build up the condensation pretty well.
That's exactly what it was. There's vents on the back of the speaking chamber of Diaphones which is why you see what puff of condensation. If conditions are right you can also see condensation shoot out of the projector. Here's Adam Smith's nicely restored Type B Diaphone (same as Wethersfield's) with a brass piston instead of the standard aluminum where you can see it puffing out both the rear vent and the projector (also note the lower pitch from the heavier brass piston).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOHKyuHikk

Also I was about 250 feet away, it took a few seconds for the sound to travel from the Diaphones to me (and the Barn Swallows sitting on the fence in front of me).
Proud owner of a 2T, 5, M-5, 1000 Head, 7T, 3T22, and a single toned 2

Daniel

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:56 am

Many towns installed horns in the 1940's so the siren could be reserved for civil defense use.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

3t22

Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I finally got around to recording the noon blast of the Cunningham horns atop Wethersfield CT fire company 1 today (9/29/16).
The slap like sound before the horns sound, was my phone hitting the sidewalk after I accidentally threw it when I jumped after hearing the horn tones drop, the laughing was a table of 4-5 people having lunch outside at the restaurant next door to the FD who all jumped in unison when the horns sounded (I regret not filming that :lol: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2AmHFo8dg

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 pm

3t22 wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I finally got around to recording the noon blast of the Cunningham horns atop Wethersfield CT fire company 1 today (9/29/16).
The slap like sound before the horns sound, was my phone hitting the sidewalk after I accidentally threw it when I jumped after hearing the horn tones drop, the laughing was a table of 4-5 people having lunch outside at the restaurant next door to the FD who all jumped in unison when the horns sounded (I regret not filming that :lol: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2AmHFo8dg
That is absolutely awesome! Sounds so deep!

Did the phone crack :P?
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

3t22

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Valtonus wrote:Did the phone crack :P?
To my relief, not even a scratch, and yes it landed face down (thank you OtterBox)
IMG_2410.JPG
Also I got confirmation over on the horn and whistle board, that these horns are indeed Cunninghams, which makes me feel better that I can ID Cunningham horns by site.

Also on a side note: The Cunningham horns that were atop the old Thompsonville fire station in Enfield CT have been removed from service, and not put back up at the new station just down the road. I assume the FD still has them, and have sent an email to the FD about them.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”