Taterworks

Tone for Electronic Fire Alarms

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 am

This is for all the fire alarm fans. In my boredom tonight, I created an audio file that can be used with electronic fire alarms (which are basically PA horns with strobes) that contains a multilingual message. The English message repeats, followed by a Spanish message, followed by the English message again, followed by French, English, and Arabic versions of the same message, with each voice message preceded by three 0.7-second horn bursts that sound similar to a Vibratone 120VAC horn. The voice is the female voice provided by Google Translate.

In my opinion, this is the ideal way to do a voice/tone fire alarm sequence. The announcement is very short, avoids creating panic, and delivers instructions. A small amount of harmonic distortion is added to the signal to increase perceived harshness, and a small amount of this type of distortion has been shown to enhance intelligibility.

You can download the sound here:

http://www.taterworks.com/www/music/fir ... ingual.mp3

If you need a high quality version of the same file, or your system cannot accept an mp3-format file, change .mp3 to .wav in the address bar. The .mp3 file sounds good and has a small download size.

I am making this file freely available, but I don't accept any liability if you use this file in an active fire alarm system.

Taterworks

Re: Tone for Electronic Fire Alarms

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:23 am

Here's another, a shelter-in-place announcement for a school or college campus building in case of a lockdown situation.

http://www.taterworks.com/www/music/SIP_Male_V2.mp3

This one sounds kind of creepy and eerily realistic when played through my Atlas Soundolier VT-157 voice/tone speaker (also sold as Simplex 2902-9711). The voice was done using the NaturalReader Text To Speech Reader, using the free David voice. I then edited down the pauses using Audacity.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”