Tkjns

Amazing (and new) Soundmaster 125 Installation!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Last summer there was a discussion of a SoundMaster 125 siren in Grinnell, Iowa which I sadly discovered had been removed. Here was one of the posts:

http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... ght=#65585

However, a few days ago, a friend of mine was camping at nearby Rock Creek State Park and said there was a new siren at the main campground that I should check out. I am excited to report it is the old Grinnell College SoundMaster 125, restored and waiting to be activated. It was purchased by the Rock Creek Alliance as a means of alerting campers of severe weather. The siren was painted an eco-friendly green and because the rotation mechanism broke while it was in Grinnell, the horns were placed in opposite directions to achieve an omni-directional sound. I spoke with a park ranger who told me the siren went up on the first of July but it is not operations yet. When I checked it out today there were boxes of parts crated around the siren. The ranger gave me a few phone numbers to call to see about when the SoundMaster will be tested for the first time so I hope to on hand when it does.

I'm sorry for the link to my site but I haven't mastered the photo posting for this board yet. Enjoy!!

http://www.atomictheater.com/soundmaster.htm
Jake H.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Very cool!!!

Blasty

Re: Amazing (and new) Soundmaster 125 Installation!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:28 am

Tkjns wrote:The siren was painted an eco-friendly green
Because green paint is so much better for the environment than yellow paint. :roll:

Tkjns

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 am

The siren had been a typical yellow beforehand although it was covered with rust and when I inquired about the color change a park ranger told me it was to "blend in" with the surroundings better. It was an environment-oriented group that restored the siren and when they mentioned eco-friendly I gathered they meant low impact visually. I'm not sure if it shows well in the pictures but it's actually placed on a fairly low pole as well and you can kind of see the original paint tone on the inside of the horn casing. I can honestly its the first green siren I've ever come across in person.
Jake H.

ACAP10

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Just go to Hawaii! Many of the sirens there are green. I've seen green Mods, STH10s, and EOWS 612's as well on O'ahu.

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Nice find!

I have a theory, maybe soundmaster's could be set to rotate, or could be set to have the horns in different directions, at the owner's choice.
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

SuperSignal3

YouTube Username: FlyoverSirens

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Upon disassembly, the horns could be set in any direction.
Proud owner of a 2T22B, an RSH-10A Thunderbeam, and a 9 port ACA Screamer S-7.5 (Yes it is an S-7.5 despite it being 9 port) as well as a model L and OC-9.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm

the original rotation mechanism worked off of 2 worm gear drives, wich rotated the entire body around the siren. but the strain was too much and since it had to be greased too often, not many work anymore.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”