MisterTwister55

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes I think its possible. Is it probable? No. Sure, a fire department could get it done and probably a few people for themselves, but I don't think the public will be grabbing these sirens as they come down haha.

If you want to learn more about getting an old one, I would contact Exelon.

1000Bthunderbolt

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:41 am

[/quote]The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is requiring that siren systems at nuclear plants have battery backup.[/quote]

That would explain why all the FS T-bolts, 3t22's and STH 10's were replaced from the vermont yankee nuclear plant system. All have been upgraded to T-128's.

ginbot86

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 am

MisterTwister55 wrote:The old Cyclones and P-10's will simply scrapped at the site of the siren.
So you mean they just toss them to the ground or something? :lol:

But, really, they could make a few bucks by either selling them on the spot or auctioning them off to enthusiasts or smaller towns and the like.
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

MisterTwister55

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Its sad but true. I will drive by my local cyclone like everyday once they get the T-128 up next to it to catch the people who take it down to ask them some questions.

Josh_S
YouTube Username: WI Fox Valley Lifts and Alarms

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

I will also see if I can contact Exelon about acquiring sirens.
Proud owner of a ATI HPSS16R, a Whelen Hornet, and an ASC T-128ACDC

Rheems1

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I would be curious to see this start happening, my whole family worked at TMI.. hell my mother was pregnant with me and worked at TMI during the accident. It will be sad to see all of the old classic sirens (at TMI) coming down to be replaced...the sirens at Peach Bottom will be another story. They won't make it public (with the exception of the NRC reports they have to file but good luck reading through the mumbo-jumbo in them) about the number of failures they have had with the T-bolts in the system.. but I can point out at least 20 sirens in their system that have NOT gone off for the different tests. With PGM and Mistertwister saying about them scrapping them at site I can just hear the collective breathes of all of the siren kiddies on this board being inhaled. I can remember what it was like to be young and want a siren.. but you need to make sure that you know what you are getting into. Cyclones are big, heavy sirens.... they cost a lot of money to ship and they are not something that you are going to put in your room for display. They are really, really big... having said all of that... if people are REALLY serious about trying to BUY (yes, I said buy they are not going to just give them to you because you ask) the sirens as they come down the best place to start would be the company doing the install/deinstall. The people in Delta, Middletown, and Limerick don't really care what the company taking them down does with them.. all they know is that they want new sirens. So calling Peach Bottom, TMI and Limerick is going to get you no where (with the exception of maybe Mistertwister who knows the siren person from Peach Bottom.. he might have some luck). You need to call the install company and work WITH them in obtaining the siren, they aren't going to ship it to you or take it down when you want them to. The stuff happens on a schedule, if you call them and say "I am interested in buying one of the former *insert power plant name here" sirens, will you sell me one (and be prepared to pay for it)?" If the answer is yes, than be prepared to work around their schedule. Plan to be on the site with a truck, they will most likely not hold the siren for you because there is always another siren coming down and they don't have room to store them. Appear with cash in hand, don't expect them to ship it to you.. they don't have the time for that. If they agree have people to help you load it into your truck, for the most part the workers are probably not going to want to do that. I wish you all luck in this endeavor.. it would be nice to see some of the old sirens find a new home.

va_nuke_pe

Section 651 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am

The population requirement listed above is in Section 651 of EPAct 2005 - it was inserted by then Senator Hillary Clinton. There is only one US NPP that meets that criterion - Indian Point. They installed 172 ATI HPSS32 electronic sirens along with an extremely complex control system that uses both radio communication and cellular telephone links to communicate back and forth with the sirens. In addition, they have both microwave link and telephone link from the control stations (there are 11 of those) to each of the four radio towers. The sirens each have two sets of batteries for power - only one set needs to be operational - charged by local AC grid through inverters or in a few cases, by solar panels. The radio-microwave link also can operate on back-up battery power.

Configuration management, software QA and signal processing (each siren sees at least 3 radio towers plus cellular links - think of how many signals have to be processed for each siren) have got to be an absolute bear.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: all 96 sirens within TMI EPZ to be replaced

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:26 am
That would help explain the Toshiba's at San Onofre (SONGS) getting replaced. They probably had little wear on them.
Bump. The last mystery SONGS siren was replaced with a Whelen in March 2006. Even though that was 11 years ago ,they must be in storage somewhere. I would call the power plant and ask if they know where they went.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”