Jim_Ferer

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 am

500 AT fan wrote:Probably scrapping/shredding them.

It seems like loads of places are getting new sirens. I wonder why, especially if the old system ran fine.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is requiring that siren systems at nuclear plants have battery backup.

500 AT fan

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks for the information, Jim Ferer. I didn't know the NRC made that a rule now.

Hacksaw

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:26 am

That would help explain the Toshiba's at San Onofre (SONGS) getting replaced. They probably had little wear on them.

Justin

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:20 pm

I guess two positives out of this is that there are more unique sirens to pick up if they're willing to part with them and that if the sh!t hits the fan at TMI again, adequate warning will be provided unless an unexpected failure occurs (which is highly unlikely).

That would be the bigger news of the day: inadequate warning about another TMI incident...

PGM

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:30 pm

I heard from a source today that knows somebody that works at TMI and he told me there going to be adding T-128s and 2001-130s to the system. And they will be removing the old Cyclones and P's. :roll: I like t he new sirens they will be adding but noithing beats the classics. We currently only have 2001's at 128 Ds. But to see the old sirens go is very sad.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm

The actual law that I saw regarding battery backup for sirens was that if more than 15,000,000 people live within a 50-mile radius, then the sirens within the 10-mile EPZ must be able to function without utility AC power. It seems like somewhat of an odd number to come up with, and there may be more rules than just that.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

MisterTwister55

Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:39 am

I talk with the "siren person" for exelon a lot. We discussed this over the phone back in October. She decided to get all T-128's FOR EVERY SYSTEM BEING REPLACED. They will get rid of all off the old ones, even including the new 2001's.

Siren_Dude

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:14 am

MisterTwister55 wrote:I talk with the "siren person" for exelon a lot. We discussed this over the phone back in October. She decided to get all T-128's FOR EVERY SYSTEM BEING REPLACED. They will get rid of all off the old ones, even including the new 2001's.
Did she say what there going to do with all the old sirens?
Your Canadian Siren Expert!
https://www.youtube.com/c/ColdWarCanada

MisterTwister55

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:06 pm

The old Cyclones and P-10's will simply scrapped at the site of the siren. They will be either sold for scrap or just put in the landfill. She is hoping to get some money for the newer 2001's in the area. They won't scrap those at the site, but will try to sell them in bigger pieces at a later date. There is the opportunity for entities (either fire departments or citizens) to pay a few bucks to have them take better care of the siren and transport it to your department or house. However, that will not be until summer of 2011 probably. They will run the T-128's next to the old system for like 4 months or something like that.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Josh_S
YouTube Username: WI Fox Valley Lifts and Alarms

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Do you think its possible for an individual, or say a group of individuals such as siren enthusiasts to acquire any of the older sirens before they meet their demise? I think its worth a call. Then at least all those poor sirens get new homes. Or even, they could sell the old sirens too. I just hate to see all those sirens go to waste. :(
Proud owner of a ATI HPSS16R, a Whelen Hornet, and an ASC T-128ACDC

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”