kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Having it original with the 1st generation hemi would be good as a collector piece, but after all, the hemi isn't rare; just expensive. So I'd put a different engine in it, but not do any modifications that would permanently change or ruin the chassis if later it were to be refitted with an early hemi. That hemi wasn't even too powerful, so you'd do better for performance of the siren with a Chevy 350, which can be had in running condition for $ a few hundred. Make motor mount adaptors (which may already be available from performance stores), and have the drive shaft modified. If I get one, I'd put a Diesel in it. Way more torque than the hemi to get that huge chopper turning, and I think it would be interesting to see how fast it would spin up to speed.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Probably the easiest swap in would be a chrysler 318. They are cheap, plentiful, very reliable, and they also had the same bolt pattern as a 331 hemi.

Even better, a put a two stroke diesel in one.

Fireman61341

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:51 pm

holler wrote: Even better, a put a two stroke diesel in one.
:lol: There you go! 8v92 Detroit with straight pipes, I'd like to hear that combination.

Federal Signal fan

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Haha, while we're at it, why not a train locomotive prime mover! That'll wake up the entire county. We're talking about 4,400hp. Ah, the possibilities, I wouldn't let this one slip by, but do be reasonable with your pricing. Do keep us posted, this is very interesting.

It should be a more valuable collectible if GM does go 'boom'. :(

Shop victoriously,
Joshua
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Jpressman8

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:28 pm

holler wrote:Probably the easiest swap in would be a chrysler 318. They are cheap, plentiful, very reliable, and they also had the same bolt pattern as a 331 hemi.

Even better, a put a two stroke diesel in one.
The 318 was exactly what I had in mind. :D
five liter V8

Tannre

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am

I would try to get it, no questions, but no engine is a let down.

As you said a 318 would well suit, but nothing beats a HEMI!
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:16 am

Tannre wrote:I would try to get it, no questions, but no engine is a let down.

But a well tuned 318 will outperform a stock 331 hemi. Remeber the 331 hemi had a 2 barrel carb and was rated for 180 horsepower (SAE gross). The 318's made after 1987 had roller cams and the swirl ports head with 9.5:1 compression ratio. They are very strong if you put a good 4 barrel carb on them and replace the horrid lean burn ignition setup with a conventional distributor that is properly curved to the RPM range the engine will be operating in.

Tannre

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:48 am

holler wrote:
Tannre wrote:I would try to get it, no questions, but no engine is a let down.

But a well tuned 318 will outperform a stock 331 hemi. Remeber the 331 hemi had a 2 barrel carb and was rated for 180 horsepower (SAE gross). The 318's made after 1987 had roller cams and the swirl ports head with 9.5:1 compression ratio. They are very strong if you put a good 4 barrel carb on them and replace the horrid lean burn ignition setup with a conventional distributor that is properly curved to the RPM range the engine will be operating in.
Thats true, especially how the HEMI engines in 1952-53 were probably a lot less cared for, plus like you said, a well tuned 318 from 87'+ would definitely outrun a 50's 331 HEMI...
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

JPayne9207

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:21 am

Federal Signal fan wrote:Haha, while we're at it, why not a train locomotive prime mover! That'll wake up the entire county. We're talking about 4,400hp. Ah, the possibilities, I wouldn't let this one slip by, but do be reasonable with your pricing. Do keep us posted, this is very interesting.

It should be a more valuable collectible if GM does go 'boom'. :(

Shop victoriously,
Joshua
why go with that when you could hook up a jet engine to it? Just remember to hook the jet exhaust exit to the chopper intake to triple compression & sound.
I personally would go with a ford 351 Cleavland. Good luck :lol:

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm

I hadn't thought of the 318... That is a good motor in my opinion too, and if the bolt pattern is the same, that's the answer (assuming the Chrysler bellhousing and fluid clutch is still with the siren).

And another thought: If that's an early Chrysler Bell siren, wouldn't it have had the DeSoto/Dodge truck inline 6, and not the Hemi?

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”