Archon

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:39 am

I'd say if It was turned on it would spit the rotor out in pieces .

Only Sirens made during WW-2 had steel Rotors as aluminum was hard to get

Sirenguy41

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Oh my god... talk about post-apocalyptic!

Hang on a second, the rotor is made of aluminum (the one in my model 5 is aluminum), and if the motor somehow survived... It might still run!? :shock:
I'm here from youtube, here's my page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirenguy41

Jim Z

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Hang on a second, the rotor is made of aluminum, and if the motor somehow survived... It might still run!?
is the stator aluminum or iron? If it's iron, I'd bet that corrosion has built up to the point where the rotor is locked.

Sirenguy41

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 pm

The chopper I think is aluminum, but the stator is steel or iron.

If the chopper did still somehow spin, I'd bet the stator would shatter from all the rust damage and vibrations.
I'm here from youtube, here's my page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirenguy41

RamFett

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 pm

There's something vaguely beautiful about the shapes of what's left of it, almost a sculptural quality. But a shame nonetheless that it's been neglected to this point.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm not sure if the stator is iron or steel, but I am quite sure it is not aluminum. If it is, that is the thickest and heaviest piece of aluminum I've ever dealt with.

SirenMadness

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 am

Well, the area of the stator between the horns seems rather unaffected, so the inside must be protected from the elements even better.
~ Peter Radanovic

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 am

SirenMadness wrote:Well, the area of the stator between the horns seems rather unaffected, so the inside must be protected from the elements even better.
Shoot, that thing is 99.9% guaranteed to be frozen up form both rust and surface aluminum oxide form the rotor. If you flipped this thing on, the motor would hum until it burned up.

SirenMadness

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 am

Aluminum oxide is a very thin layer of oxidation, at least much thinner and smoother than rust. I think that the rust would be responsible for more than the aluminum would be. Since sirens require very close tolerances, though, maybe the thing would be locked up.
~ Peter Radanovic

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:39 pm

SirenMadness wrote:Aluminum oxide is a very thin layer of oxidation, at least much thinner and smoother than rust. I think that the rust would be responsible for more than the aluminum would be. Since sirens require very close tolerances, though, maybe the thing would be locked up.
Yea, your right about the aluminum oxide actually. Not all rotors are made of aluminum then, because some do flake quite a bit. I've seen a model 5 with this problem before, and I have two single tone model 2 rotors from the same time period and only one has that flaking (it's not really it flaking but I'm not sure how else to describe it).

I guess I need to take some pics.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”