Alasiren1977

Murfreesboro, TN siren question

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 pm

As you may have already seen on tv today a bad tornado struck Murfreesboro, TN (Rutherford County) today, and I have been watching the news and have not heard anyone mention the sirens. Are there any sirens in this area?

Fireman61341

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:27 pm

There's a thread in the A/V forum about that with a YouTube link, sounds like Whelens.
http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... php?t=6048

Whelen Rules

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:31 pm

The city of Murfreesboro has no siren system however, MTSU (Middle Tenn. State University) has a Whelen siren system that covers the campus. Murfreesboro is one of Tennessee fastest growing cities and yet they have always opposed an outdoor siren system. On a side note Whelen Engineering's southeast regional manager and distribution is located in the Boro.

We got hit pretty hard today as well sirens all over the state were blaring today.
Tyler Lund

r4tbolts

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:07 am

Whelen Rules wrote:The city of Murfreesboro has no siren system however, MTSU (Middle Tenn. State University) has a Whelen siren system that covers the campus. Murfreesboro is one of Tennessee fastest growing cities and yet they have always opposed an outdoor siren system. On a side note Whelen Engineering's southeast regional manager and distribution is located in the Boro.

We got hit pretty hard today as well sirens all over the state were blaring today.
I seriously have to ask what sirens were blaring? As one who has roots from Tennessee. There may be some progressive communities with sirens but it's been my experience over the years (many) as a whole a large majority of the residents or politicians of Tennessee could care less about sirens or tornados for that matter. Tennessee in general seems devoid of sirens. I could name a 100 communities in West Tennessee that doesn't have a siren (except for fire calls) and could count on both hands many basements or storm shelters dug in the ground in those same towns. Many natives there just doesn't get that worked up about storms in Tennessee. Tennessee has to be damn frustrating for any Emergency Manager.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Whelen Rules wrote:The city of Murfresburo has no siren system
That is BS, someone is gonna raise hell about that to the EMA. This is a perfect reason to force them to buy a siren system for Murfresburo. Brings me back to my unsuccessful siren hunt in Murfresburo a few months ago.. I wasn't happy.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Melvin Potts

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:44 pm

The tornado on Good Friday should be all the incentive Murfreesboro..and other cities..need to get a siren system.

Rutherford County keeps growing by leaps & bounds. The cities of La Vergne and Smyrna also keep growing.

I was in LaVergne a few weeks ago; didn't see anything vaguely resembling a siren there. I don't think Smyrna has any sirens.

When you consider the population growth in Rutherford County, sirens would seem to be a necessity

Alasiren1977

Re: Murfreesboro, TN siren question

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:21 am

Melvin Potts wrote:The tornado on Good Friday should be all the incentive Murfreesboro..and other cities..need to get a siren system.

Rutherford County keeps growing by leaps & bounds. The cities of La Vergne and Smyrna also keep growing.

I was in LaVergne a few weeks ago; didn't see anything vaguely resembling a siren there. I don't think Smyrna has any sirens.

When you consider the population growth in Rutherford County, sirens would seem to be a necessity
I dont think Smyrna does either. I was there Wen for the first time and is a growing community as you can tell with all the new stores, I was shocked that they have no sirens anywhere.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:28 am

Alasiren1977 wrote:
Melvin Potts wrote:The tornado on Good Friday should be all the incentive Murfreesboro..and other cities..need to get a siren system.

I don't think Smyrna does either. I was there Wen for the first time and is a growing community as you can tell with all the new stores, I was shocked that they have no sirens anywhere.
I think it's about time for us Tennesseans to declare a Tornado Siren Revolution. I'm currently working on getting us new sirens county-wide (don't bug me on this, I know what I'm doing, trust me) ever since yesterday's tornado in North Dickson, destroying one home.

Why is all these cities and counties in Tennessee using tax money on everything BUT something that actually benefits our own life's safety? There are lives that they're messing with! See, that's why I'm so serious about all of this.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Melvin Potts

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:41 am

Why is all these cities and counties in Tennessee using tax money on everything BUT something that actually benefits our own life's safety?
Good question. It took several years..and a change of mayors..after the '98 tornado for Nashville to get a siren system.

Mayor Bredesen was opposed to the idea. Bill Purcell was the mayor who allocated the $ and got the project going.

I know they're supposed to be "outdoor warning sirens." However, some people can hear them inside as well. My DDS is located in Brentwood. The staff at his office told me of hearing the Municipal Bldg. siren one afternoon; friend who works in another office bldg. said he heard it.

Another friend told me last night that he and others at his workplace(51st & Charlotte in W. Nashville) heard the Richland Park ATI(about 4 or 5 blocks away) yesterday afternoon.

My oldest niece lives in Franklin. Several times she's heard the 2001 on S. Royal Oaks; gathered the kids and dogs and headed to her laundry room for shelter.

The fact that sirens can be heard..and the warnings heeded..is justification enough for the cost.

djscrizzle

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 am

Melvin Potts wrote:
Why is all these cities and counties in Tennessee using tax money on everything BUT something that actually benefits our own life's safety?
Good question. It took several years..and a change of mayors..after the '98 tornado for Nashville to get a siren system.

Mayor Bredesen was opposed to the idea. Bill Purcell was the mayor who allocated the $ and got the project going.

I know they're supposed to be "outdoor warning sirens." However, some people can hear them inside as well. My DDS is located in Brentwood. The staff at his office told me of hearing the Municipal Bldg. siren one afternoon; friend who works in another office bldg. said he heard it.

Another friend told me last night that he and others at his workplace(51st & Charlotte in W. Nashville) heard the Richland Park ATI(about 4 or 5 blocks away) yesterday afternoon.

My oldest niece lives in Franklin. Several times she's heard the 2001 on S. Royal Oaks; gathered the kids and dogs and headed to her laundry room for shelter.

The fact that sirens can be heard..and the warnings heeded..is justification enough for the cost.
VERY well said, Melvin. Colorado Springs is anti-siren, and no outdoor warning sirens are in service within COS. Nobody really heeds warnings there Calhan, meanwhile, is VERY pro-Siren, and there is NOBODY outside when our siren is activated.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”