Alasiren1977

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:21 am

What I dont understand is that why Tennesse is so anti siren when they have some of the highest death rates from torndaoes in the south! Memphis has a great siren system, its weird that the rest of the cities havent followed in their foot steps. I think it boils down to what politician is in office, and if you happen to have the wrong one, they will hold that city/county back.

Montgomery, AL had that same problem for years and finally got a new mayor, and a new EMS director, and new sirens started popping up like weeds all over the place. People that have lived forever without sirens, dont see the point of having them cause they dont know what they are missing. Once they get a siren system in place then they will never want to live in a city without them ever again!!

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Re: Murfreesboro, TN siren question

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 am

Melvin Potts wrote:The tornado on Good Friday should be all the incentive Murfreesboro..and other cities..need to get a siren system.

Rutherford County keeps growing by leaps & bounds. The cities of La Vergne and Smyrna also keep growing.

I was in LaVergne a few weeks ago; didn't see anything vaguely resembling a siren there. I don't think Smyrna has any sirens.

When you consider the population growth in Rutherford County, sirens would seem to be a necessity
They should have just fired up the t-bolts in Nashville for that tornado in 98'?

Or were alot of t-bolts already gone by then?

djscrizzle

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 am

Thunderboltlover wrote:
Melvin Potts wrote:The tornado on Good Friday should be all the incentive Murfreesboro..and other cities..need to get a siren system.

Rutherford County keeps growing by leaps & bounds. The cities of La Vergne and Smyrna also keep growing.

I was in LaVergne a few weeks ago; didn't see anything vaguely resembling a siren there. I don't think Smyrna has any sirens.

When you consider the population growth in Rutherford County, sirens would seem to be a necessity
They should have just fired up the t-bolts in Nashville for that tornado in 98'?

Or were alot of t-bolts already gone by then?
A lot of them were gone by 1998. And they also might not have been functional, as they sat idle for 16-18 years by then.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Whelen Rules

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:11 am

I am currently working on intalling siren systems in the towns surrounding me. Tullahoma has had a system of sirens since the 50's during the cold war and we have had our system of 12 Whelen Vortex and several WPS series(at Arnold Air Force Base) sirens in the city since 1999.

I am currently working with cities and towns in the Tullahoma micropolitan area and with Whelen on intalling city wide siren systems in Shelbyville, Manchester, Winchester/Franklin County, Moore County and some other small communities in the area.

With the storms Friday we had about a 15 minute advanced warning (two 3 minute siren activations) before the storms were on top of us giving people ample time to seek shelter. Hopefully soon I will have this southern section of Middle Tennessee covered soon.
Tyler Lund

FloatingAunt17
New User
YouTube Username: TheFlyingAvgeek

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 pm

I have talked to the Mayor of Murfreesboro as it is my home town, we will be getting over 10 new 508's as soon as this summer.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”