SIRENMAN

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for passing this on. This administration in E.M.A. leaves nothing to chance and are overcoming the screw ups, blunders, mistakes, incompetence, and stupidity of the last administration and American Signal's ineptness in installation. These guys we have now are first class and are great with respect to the safety of the citizens and the community. Just an absolute class act.

SIRENMAN

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:18 am

My last post mentioned American Signal's ineptness in installation. Well at 1:50 this afternoon I received a call from EMA saying a passer by saw that the siren at Nixon and Vine was hanging by one bolt. So I put my tools away and headed down there and sure enough the top thru bolt of the pole mount was totally pulled loose. I scoured the ground and found the nut, washer, and the lock washer. I got a bucket truck and had to straighten up the siren to drive the bolt back thru. Finally I was successful in getting this back straight and re-nutted. I tightened the nuts up (unlike ANS) and double nutted the thru bolt and took a hammer to the threads so now if you want it down you will have to cut the thru bolt off.

So the moral of this story when you pass a siren please visually check the pole, pole mount, thru bolts, conduit, and all associated equipment. Thank you

Kentuckysirens
YouTube Username: Sirensofcincinnati

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJLcbsL ... e=youtu.be

Recorded this today in Warren County.

SIRENMAN

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 am

Who installed it and how long ago was it installed?

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:43 am

My sister and I took an impromptu trip out to the lake at East Fork State Park for a bit this afternoon. I saw 5 new sirens (new to me anyway) along the route:
A silver/gray TBolt right off 125 just east of I-275
A P-10/P-15 right off 125
A yellow Model 5 on the Union Township fire station in Withamsville
An EOWS*115 or 1212 on the Central Joint Fire & EMS station in Amelia (I was told this is a 1212 in 115 housing)
A T-128 next to the East Fork State Park office (3294 Elklick Road, Bethel, OH - no Street View there)

Anyone know which of those (besides the T-128) are still active?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

SIRENMAN

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:42 am

All except the electronic one is still in operation. The T-128 is actually on Bantam rd.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 am

Are any of Clermont County's 1212's still operational? I know there are at least 5 counting the Amelia one.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

SIRENMAN

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:26 am

No not that I know

SIRENMAN

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 am

Went on two siren repairs and each siren was installed by so called "professionals" Siren #1 was in Warren county and is a used T-Bolt and installed two years ago by Federal Field Services and is disgusting that they were paid for this half assed installation. I was called because Federal came out to troubleshoot a problem with the siren. They looked at it and said they need a new siren at $20,000.00 because the chopper motor did not work (remember they installed this two years ago) A member of this board saw a notice that this siren will be indefinatly out of service and so he texted me and I contacted the proper authority and today I went to the site. Here is what I found. The controls were filled with creature droppings and birds nest, the siren head and 3 inch conduit was held to the pole with a cheap 14/20 strap and the lower conduit strap was broken. I was so afraid to touch this siren that I took nylon rope and secured the siren head to the pole so I could work on it. (I left the rope for safety as it would have fallen in a year or so). The horn had no screen and the frame was broken in half (remember Federal installed this two years ago). I installed a screen, and proceeded to remove the chopper motor. The hex bolts that hold the chopper motor in and horn to the chopper motor were untouched and never removed (remember Federal said the chopper was bad and needed a new siren). I finally removed the chopper motor to find a wire burnt off the brush holder and the brushes were just nubs. (remember Federal installed this two years ago, and I guess they did not even rebuild and replace bad parts). I replaced the chopper motor and the motor works fine. The controls were removed as the chopper switch and possibly the agastat is bad. It makes me sick these so called "professionals" like Federal and American Signal get away with sloppy, disgusting, half assed, inferior work. Even the pole looked used.

SIRENMAN

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 am

Second siren I went to today was at Strickers Grove that is a new T-128 that was installed a few years ago by ANS/American Signal. This was the worst installation I have ever seen. When we arrived the door was blown open from battery explosion. I removed the batteries and extensively cleaned the cabinets.After installing the batteries I noticed the following:
Battery Blankets were installed wrong
FSK board was wired improperly thereby holding squelch open
The antenna interface cable used 154mhz connectors jammed into an 800 mhz radio antenna connector
The radio was installed backwards
The radio was hooked up with 25' of cable rolled up and jammed into the compulert cabinet

These sirens in Hamilton County were also half assed by ANS/ASC and it is I that has to correct all their mistakes and the taxpayers are footing the bill as ASC gets rich by doing inferior work

Return to “Community Systems”