EOWS 612

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 pm

I've heard that there is a BLACK T-128 by the Qwest Center. Omaha tests it's sirens every Saturday at 11:00, and a silent test everyday. Those P-10s are Fort Calhoun's meltdown system. There is also a 15V2T in the city of Fort calhoun with a P-10 about 500 ft. away from it. And there's a 2001 in the middle of nowhere.
Hey Daniel, what type of electronic sirens are at the AFB?

bigloudnoise

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:02 am

I think Ft. Calhoun is in the process of replacing some (Perhaps all?) of the P-10s in their system.

Every day this week, I've driven by the main entrance to the plant. One of their P-10s stands next to the entrance.

Today, though, was different. This evening when I drove by, there was the P-10...and a new 2001 right next to it! They literally just today installed a new siren, right at the main entrance of the Ft. Calhoun plant, next to the old siren. Freshly-dug dirt is still sitting on the ground around the new metal pole. I would have stopped to take pictures, but nuclear power plants and cameras don't mix very well.

It's always sad to see old sirens getting replaced, especially if they still work (Which I'll admit, not being from this area, I don't know if that particular siren does still work or not).

Omaha tests their sirens on Saturdays? Nuts, just my luck, I'm leaving to go back home Friday evening! Oh well, I'm hoping to get video of Missouri Valley's STL-10 tomorrow. It won't be the best video though, because I forgot to bring my tripod. Still, even shaky video is better than no video.
EOWS 612 wrote:...There is also a 15V2T in the city of Fort calhoun with a P-10 about 500 ft. away from it. And there's a 2001 in the middle of nowhere.
I didn't see the 15V2T in Fort Calhoun, but I did see an STL-10 behind the fire station, a few blocks away from the P-10. I got some pictures of both. If there is a third siren there, I'm likely missing it because, so far, I've just been driving through the town, not really driving around or stopping.

As for that 2001 out in the middle of nowhere, I've seen it too. That I'm fairly certain is another recent addition/replacement to the nuclear plant's siren system. It's located in the general area I was expecting to find a P-10 (They seem to be spaced about a mile apart).

Daniel

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 am

EOWS 612 wrote:I've heard that there is a BLACK T-128 by the Qwest Center. Omaha tests it's sirens every Saturday at 11:00, and a silent test everyday.
Hey Daniel, what type of electronic sirens are at the AFB?
I don't remember what was at the AFB, but I may have seen a Whelen of one kind or another. When I lived in Omaha, they only tested on the first Saturday of the month at 10:00.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

EOWS 612

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:16 am

Bigloudnoise, the 15V2T was near the intersection of US-75 and Monroe, a little to the north behind a building. When I saw it it was really beat up. But, I'm sure it's still there. By the way, on your way home stop by the Mutual of Omaha building, the T-128 there is one of the ones that's black.

Edit: I meant Court Street, sorry.

bigloudnoise

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 am

Tomorrow morning is my last trip through Fort Calhoun before heading back home. I'll have to actually stop and see if I can find that third siren. Oh, and Fort Calhoun's "mint green" P-10 is actually light blue. The first few times I saw it was in the evening near sunset, when the sunlight was more yellow. That made it look mint green. Still a neat effect.

Anyway, back on topic. I finally spotted one siren, maybe two, right in Omaha. The first was a T-128 along Center Street, about a mile or so east of the Oak View mall, next to a BP gas station (I don't recall the cross street at that location). Also, I was riding with a friend down 132nd a little ways south of Dodge, and I was looking out the window to the west when off in the distance I spotted what looked like an XT22.

As much as I'd like to see the black T-128, I don't anticipate being anywhere near downtown tomorrow. Since I have a five-hour drive tomorrow afternoon to get home, it's gonna be a short day, so anything my friend and I do will be close his house, which is quite a distance from downtown.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Here's a photo I took when I was in Omaha last year... My Omaha geography is poor, but I think this was on a side road of Dodge Road, near a place where there's a long S-curve and a slight hill. I took the photo from my friend's front yard. He hates sirens, ironically! I can go look up his street address if needed.

I feel ashamed not to remember what model this siren is. A 2001? It had a Federal logo on the front of the projector. I haven't memorized the later type siren models & versions, as my main interest is in Cold War era sirens.

Charles

Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

coyoteunknown

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:22 pm

That's an American Signal Corporation Tempest T-128. :)

http://www.americansignal.com/products/ ... -T-128.php

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Here's something that's weird.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZbmcCJTFAo

Sounds like an SD-10, because it doesn't appear to be rotating. It could be one of those P-10's though.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

coyoteunknown

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:47 pm

ver tum wrote:Here's something that's weird.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZbmcCJTFAo

Sounds like an SD-10, because it doesn't appear to be rotating. It could be one of those P-10's though.
Definitely has to be an SD-10, or possibly a Banshee.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 am

It sounds more like an SD-10 to me than anything else. I was sure I was going to hear a T-128 or a 2001, so that 9/12 port siren really surprised me. I asked the YouTube poster where that video was shot, but he hasn't replied yet. If that siren is one of the P-10's at that nuclear power plant, it likely has a broken rotator. I also hear something in there that sounds like an xT22. One of those guies in the video said something about a base, so that could be in Fort Calhoun. If that's the case, the 9/12 port siren is likely a P-10.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”