Bama2001

Omaha Metro Sirens

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 pm

any of you guys know what sirens are used in Council Bluffs, IA.......

What about Bellevue, NE?
Chris

Daniel

Re: Omaha Metro Sirens

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Bama2001 wrote:any of you guys know what sirens are used in Council Bluffs, IA.......

What about Bellevue, NE?
Counciltucky uses mostly 2001's, while Bellevue has an assortment of sirens, including an ancient SD-10 at the south end of town. I think that most of theirs are 2001's, plus some electronic ones near the AFB. Omaha is 95% T-128s, with a couple of 2001s on the west side. Ralston has two or three Model 5's and a 2T22. Boy's Town has three 3T22's within a quarter mile of each other that sound a steady, three-minute hi-lo. One of these is about 500 feet from a T-128 in the Omaha city limits (Boy's Town is an incorporated town surrounded by Omaha) and yes, they both go off at the same time.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

eaglecomm

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 am

I'm not 100% sure about this...but I think Omaha may have a few thunderbolts scattered around. I was up there storm chasing last year, and thought I heard some.

Daniel

Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:55 pm

eaglecomm wrote:I'm not 100% sure about this...but I think Omaha may have a few thunderbolts scattered around. I was up there storm chasing last year, and thought I heard some.
Omaha's system used to be entirely comprised of Thunderbolts, but around 2002 they were all replaced with T-128's. The last time I was there when the sirens were tested, I was in Boy's Town to record their 3T22's, and I could hear a dual-tone Thunderbolt off in the distance somewhere. The only Thunderbolts I remember seeing were one on the roof of the Mutual of Omaha building that hadn't been removed (a single tone) and the head assembly of one in Carter Lake, whose system is managed by Council Bluffs. From Boy's Town, I could also hear a couple of 2001's and what sounded like a 16 port Sterling siren. The only Sterling I know about is in downtown Elkhorn, which is a long way from Boy's Town.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:59 pm

I was in Omaha last spring, and I saw a couple of 2001s. But I didn't really look thoroughly around town to see any other sirens.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

bigloudnoise

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 am

I'm visiting friends and family in Omaha all this week. Although I have yet to spot any sirens in the city (It's kinda hard to look around while trying to drive through heavy traffic), while driving along Highway 75 north of Omaha, I spotted several ACA P-10s along the highway near the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant. They're all painted what appears to be a mint green color...or maybe it's light blue, I really could not tell very well because it was sunset when I saw them. If I get a chance this week, I'll take some pictures.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, the motel I'm staying in (Super 8 in Blair, NE) is located only a few blocks from a T-Bolt 1000(T). I wonder if I'll get to hear it sound this week.

Daniel

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Since they're mounted on poles and white colored, they are not as easy to spot as the old Thunderbolts, many of which were roof mounted. There's one right in the middle of Dodge Road a few blocks east of 90th. There's one in the parking lot of the Westroads Mall. Other locations for T-128's that spring to mind are the north parking lot of the Mutual of Omaha building, a pole next to the gym at St. Anthony's School in South Omaha, Cady Avenue off 90th (north of Blondo), and across the street from the Boy's Town post office (which has a 3T22 on it). West of the 75/680 interchange, there's an STL-10 in Irvington that goes off frequently for fire calls, and I think there's one in Fort Calhoun also.

bigloudnoise

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 am

Daniel wrote:...there's an STL-10 in Irvington that goes off frequently for fire calls, and I think there's one in Fort Calhoun also.
There certainly is. I just this evening stopped to take pictures of it. I also took some pictures of the "mint green" ACA P-10 in Fort Calhoun. I'll post them as soon as I can.

I have plans to possibly head out to Westroads this week. I'll see if I can get a couple quick pictures of the siren there.

Bama2001

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:18 am

Omaha have any roof mounted T-128's?
Chris

Daniel

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:01 am

Bama2001 wrote:Omaha have any roof mounted T-128's?
I've never seen one, but that isn't to say that there aren't any. While I have not seen most of Omaha's sirens or visited many of Nebraska's smaller towns, I can say that the only roof-mounted rotating siren I've seen there is a 2001 on the roof of the city hall up in Hartington.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”