Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:45 pm

cauberallies wrote:I have some poopoo cell phone pics to upload of a mystery siren within a few miles of my house. It looks like a stack of dinner plates, maybe 10 of them. It is the only siren of this type I have ever seen, seen pictures of, or heard of.

I will upload them shortly, and hopefully take some better ones soon.

EDIT: And I don't know if there is anyone still around from the old days on this board. I have been a part of this, and previous incarnations of the warningsirens/airraidsirens.com board for 10 years now, but haven't been active in quite a while. Who is still here?
Federal Signal Modulator perhaps?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

cauberallies

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 am

Oldiesmann wrote:
cauberallies wrote:I have some poopoo cell phone pics to upload of a mystery siren within a few miles of my house. It looks like a stack of dinner plates, maybe 10 of them. It is the only siren of this type I have ever seen, seen pictures of, or heard of.

I will upload them shortly, and hopefully take some better ones soon.

EDIT: And I don't know if there is anyone still around from the old days on this board. I have been a part of this, and previous incarnations of the warningsirens/airraidsirens.com board for 10 years now, but haven't been active in quite a while. Who is still here?
Federal Signal Modulator perhaps?

Nope. I think I would recognize a modulator. I have the picture now.

I definitely remember you, Dave. I used to talk to you when I was like 12. I totally forget what my moniker was at the time, but its Marcus from Altoona, if you recall.

And also, I own/operate a recording studio now, so I have the means to make high quality siren recordings. But, as we both know, "test days" are few and far between in Pennsylvania. I'd definitely be down to drive an hour or two to catch something significant, or a dual tone Thunderbolt, since I have never heard a Tbolt in person. I have never even heard a siren with a minor third dual tone. Dang. I need to get on that.

Does anyone know of any test days/times within an hour or so of Blair county, PA?

kswx29

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:22 am

-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 am

2t22boy wrote:Is this even a siren?
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4CF9
No, its a light.

Daniel

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm

If it is a light, why is it mounted so high above the roofline, and why is it attached to a square-topped pole mount? Perhaps it is a Model 3 with a chimney cap on it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

CABLEVision

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:06 am

The is neither a light nor a siren, it's a UHF signal broadcaster.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 am

CABLEVision wrote:The is neither a light nor a siren, it's a UHF signal broadcaster.
Oh wow, there are a few lights around here that look exactly like that, but Daniel is right, its way to high.

Jonas Clark

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm

This IS a light. An older one (1960s or 70s) but a light nonetheless. I grew up with these - a supermarket in my hometown had these dotting its parking lot. Only a few still worked, but they were indeed omnidirectional lights. They even had the exact same pole.

As for mystery sirens, anyone ever seen something that looked like those Federals, but was NOT a siren? I'm sadly not too up on my siren models but... Cylinder, conical cap, conical cowl ring partway down? One of Boeing's buildings (for anyone in Seattle, they're just north of Randy's [ex-Denny's] restaurant on E. Marginal Wy., atop a blocky building) has two objects that look JUST LIKE those Federals, but without any sign of ports or vents. They must be lightweight, as they're atop very thin poles, and they're painted white. They must be antennae of a sort (possibly related to AWAC? The old ground-mounted Boeing AWAC antenna that was in Kent looked bizarre) but they look uncannily like sirens.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:04 pm

There are quite a few lights like that dotting the parking lot at Rink's (a "Flea and Craft Market") here in Cincinnati.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:28 pm

What's this?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Return to “Mystery Sirens”