Federal Signal 2001

Siren Testing Schedule

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:13 am

I'm just curious of when you sirens are tested. What times, days, all year, part year?

Our sirens in Hutchinson, MN are tested on the first wednesday of the month at 1:00 PM all year round, plus 2 times a day once in april for the statewide tornado drill.

coopertbolt1

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 am

I live in Moorhead, Mn and the sirens are tested first Wednesday of the onth at 1 PM and twice on the tornado drill day.
Bring back the thunderbolt, NOW.

coyoteunknown

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:15 am

Jonesboro, Arkansas tests their sirens EVERY Thursday at noon, weather permitting.

Unsure of Siloam Springs, Arkansas, but I hear it's only once a month.

EL1998P71

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:06 am

Southeastern michigan for the most part test first saturday of the month @ 1pm, But some counties and citys don't test in Dec, Jan, Feb.
Like Oakland County, and Shelby Township(in Macomb County).
Monroe County test the last Wenesday of the month @ 9:55AM
City of Melvindale tests every Saturday @ 1PM.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

RamFett

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Milwaukee County's siren system in Milwaukee, WI has scheduled tests at 12:00 Noon on the second Wednesday of the month. That can easily be cancelled if the EM controller sees a single cloud in the sky, though. :x
This works out to about every other month that sirens get tested. Sirens generally are not tested during winter months, although I have heard exceptions (tests in January). The first test of the year is usually part of a mock warning drill performed for Tornado Awareness Day in March.

Brookfield, WI tests Saturdays at noon every other week.

New Berlin, WI tests every Saturday at noon, but rotates which sirens get tested from week to week.

Melvin Potts

Siren Testing Schedule

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 pm

City of Nashville, TN...siren test(ATIs) noon on 1st Saturday of month.

Williamson County, TN(county directly S of Nashville) has 3 separate systems, all of which are supposed to be tested at 1 PM on 1st Saturday.

City of Brentwood(11 2001s & 3 Modulators), City of Franklin(9 2001s & 6 Modulators), and Williamson County(19 Modulators) each have their own systems.

A couple months ago I drove to Franklin in anticipation of the test. I've never heard a Modulator in person, so parked couple blocks away from the one atop a city parking garage(2 active cells). For some unknown reason the test didn't happen, even though the day was clear and sunny.

Cobb County, GA(where I formerly lived) tests its system(70+ sirens; mix of Federals & Whelens) 1st Wednesday at noon unless inclement weather. Friend there lives between a Thunderbolt and Whelen WPS 2810--both of which he can hear inside his house.

City of Smyrna, GA(Cobb County..town where I lived) has 11 STH-10s, 2 Thunderbolts, and 3 Whelens. To my knowledge they still test at noon on 1st Wednesday as well.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Although we don't get severe weather up here all that often, most of the sirens up here are for VFD use, and most town do a daily blast at either noon or 6pm, or both. There are a few towns that use their sirens for non VFD use. Here's a few that I know of that regularly test

Vernon: current system: WS 2008, 3T22, single toned 2, 12 port 5 (2), future system: 7 various WS 2000s, 1st Saturday of the month for 3 minutes in 4 long cycles of attack (20 seconds on 10 off) on the mechanical sirens, wail on the 2008. A brief 1050hz tone followed by a live test message is given over the 2008 just before the test starts. The sirens are not used for VFD use

Glastonbury: 2 2740s, 2 2902s, 1st Saturday of the month at 11am for 1 minute in I assume alert, and in January and July a brief test announcment just before th etest starts. Also one blast daily at noon (not sure if they still do, I'll have to check on that), and 3 rounds of wail for fire calls between 7AM and 7PM

Wolcott: single toned 2, 5T (2), WS 2016 (3), SD-10 (2), 1st saturday of the month at noon for 20 seconds. They also use the 2 and 5Ts for fire calls

Millstone Nuclear power plant, various towns with in a 10 mile radious of the plant: a rapidly disapearing system of various WS 2000s (we have 8 of them counting the 2008) formerly totaling 125 sirens. Upgrading in progress, to 81 2910s. Testing varies, but from what I've heard the plant tests on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 11am, in alert for 3 minutes, and attack for an unknown time, possibily 3 minutes. A test message is given jusr before the test. Some towns also uses the WS 2000s for VFD use, and usualy do a test blast daily at noon, and wail for fire calls. The Niantic Men's prison also uses a few of the WS 2000s for prison escapes, using hi-lo, I assume they test that signal from time to time.

kswx29

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:44 am

Douglas County, KS: First Monday of Month (First and Third March-Aug.) at 12noon, Alert and Attack.
Jefferson County, KS: First Monday of Month at 12noon (March-Oct.)
Johnson County, KS: First Wed. of Month at 11:00 (Except Dec and Jan.)
Shawnee County, KS: Every Monday at 12noon, Weather Permiting. (Year-round.)

Uses:
Douglas and Jefferson County: Tornado
Johnson and Shawnee: Attack/National Emergency and Tornadoes.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Whelen Rules

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:33 am

City of Tullahoma, TN- 2nd Saturday of every month (weather permitting) at 12:00 (noon)

City of McMinnville, TN- 1st Friday of every month at 12:00 (noon)

Sirens in this area are used for tornado warnings and any other emergency that threatens the general public.
Tyler Lund

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:44 am

Robins AFB tests their sirens every wednesday at noon with a 1 minute alert tone, no matter what the weather is.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”