tlamb02

Unknown use for siren in Pittsburgh

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:43 am

Hi, I came across The Siren Board a few days ago and decided to create an account cause I have an interest in sirens. I have a siren atop of an elementary school in Pittsburgh but I’ve never heard it nor heard anything about it’s purpose. It’s either a FS 2T22 or 3T22 since I can’t see if it’s got solenoids, and since I haven’t heard it do a hi-lo or anything. I looked on a PA map of sirens and also didn’t see it pinned on the map nor did I find any articles for what it’s purpose is. Possibly it’s status is inactive? Since Pittsburgh doesn’t get tornadoes or hurricanes, I would guess it would be used for severe thunderstorms and flooding, but Pittsburgh recently had a flood where I heard a FS Model B but not the 2/3T22. But that was a firehouse siren which I’m not sure if they do outdoor alerts too, or just the coincidence of a fire during the flood. Anyways, if any of you know informationabout the siren that would be great to see if I could film when it goes off or you guys who have maps to pin it on. Here is a link to where it is on google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Linco ... f334df9b40

(Sorry if that’s not clickable I’m new to this).

Thanks!!

jgardner48

Re: Unknown use for siren in Pittsburgh

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:21 am

First off, Welcome!

My guess would be that this is an inactive siren, A lot of schools were used as fallout shelters during the cold war. It could of been a part of Pittsburgs CD system, and if you did not hear it during the last flood, my guess is that it is inactive for these reasons.
You read my signature, that's enough social interaction for one day.

My siren map (IN PROGRESS)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 682617&z=7

tlamb02

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks for the info jgardner48! Makes sense to me since that school was made back from the I believe the 1960s-70s and went through some renovations, but is still the original school. It stinks cause the 2/3T22s are one of my favorites on the list, and seeing it in go off in person and also the convenience of a quick drive to see it go off would be awesome. On the other hand I have a FS Type B which still roars and is a simple drive down to. Thanks again for that info which seems to be the case. If anyone else has any other info other than what jgardner48 said I’d love to hear it!

ACAAllertorManiac
YouTube Username: AllertorSiren05

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Many cities back in the Cold War had Civil Defense Sirens to warn of attacks and air raids. This is Likley an old CD siren, considering it’s model and location. Anyway, nice find and welcome to the forum!

tlamb02

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks ACAAllertorManiac! Glad to be in the board!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”