fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Lakewood, OH New Siren System

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Last week, Lakewood, Ohio’s Outdoor Warning Siren System was replaced. The old system consisted of three EOWS-612’s which were originally installed in 1986 and were “upgraded” from SiraTone controls to MCP in 1998, and a MOD 6024 was added that same year.

Lakewood has followed a unique testing schedule than the rest of Cuyahoga County has for as long as they’ve had their electronic sirens since 1986. On the first, second, and third Saturdays of the month they test in Westminster Chimes, and on the last Saturday of the month, they test in the Alert tone for one minute. This has never changed. This differs from the rest of Cuyahoga County as they test on a monthly basis while only Brecksville and Lakewood test weekly. EDIT: As of July 2019, the City of Brecksville now tests monthly with the county after switching to the Chagrin Valley Dispatch network.

In recent years, a lack of maintenance to the -612’s and the fact that they never replaced the batteries in the MCPs left them unreliable. The MOD 6024 was the only siren properly working prior to replacement last week.

Last year, the City of Lakewood allocated a $120,000 budget for a new siren system to replace the old system. The new system that was just installed was under their budget.

In April, the City of Lakewood’s Board Of Control (BOC) approved a proposal by Bearcom Wireless Worldwide to replace the existing sirens with Federal Signal Modulator 4016B’s (Modulator IIs), and to upgrade and relocate the MOD 6024 in the existing system.

The MOD 6024 has been upgraded to the current system by replacing a blown speaker driver in one of the speaker cells with a new 100W driver and by replacing its outdated MCP with a new UltraVoice controller. This siren was relocated to Madison Park on Madison Avenue to provide coverage to that area. Lakewood Park received a new 4016B in the same place that the 6024 sat in prior to its relocation.

All four of the new 4016B’s were installed where the existing 612’s (and 6024) sat in. The one at Lakewood FD #1 is roof-mounted on the same mount that the 612 sat on.

Here’s a picture of the new 4016B at FD#1 (picture taken by another ARS member).

And here’s the BOC proposal if you want to get into specifics. The siren information can be found on Pages 6 through 8 of the April BOC Agenda. The estimate was subsequently approved and the new sirens were installed just last week at the end of June.

BOC Proposal: http://www.onelakewood.com/wp-content/u ... 041618.pdf

Photo of Siren 1:
77B9E909-2847-4F7C-BC37-DEE22ABD47E4.jpeg
77B9E909-2847-4F7C-BC37-DEE22ABD47E4.jpeg (772.19 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
Last edited by fire_freak_57 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: Lakewood, OH New Siren System

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
The MOD 6024 has been upgraded to the current system by replacing a blown speaker driver in one of the speaker cells with a new 400W driver and by replacing its outdated MCP with a new UltraVoice controller.
That's a 100W driver. Federal Signal doesn't use 400W drivers.

You know, I would start going on about how bad this entire situation was, but honestly it isn't even worth the time. There is so much wrong with the plans and the pricing. Hopefully they won't let something else like this happen again in the future. The damage is done and there is no going back. I'll let the figures speak for themselves.

My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Roabe

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am

With the $120,000 budget allocation they could have definitely done better than what they got. But like you said what's done is done. My only theory for this is that they were tired of the complaints about the nonworking sirens for the past couple of years, so they just rubber-stamped the project through just to call it done.

fire_freak_57

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Tyler wrote:
fire_freak_57 wrote:
The MOD 6024 has been upgraded to the current system by replacing a blown speaker driver in one of the speaker cells with a new 400W driver and by replacing its outdated MCP with a new UltraVoice controller.

You know, I would start going on about how bad this entire situation was, but honestly it isn't even worth the time. There is so much wrong with the plans and the pricing. Hopefully they won't let something else like this happen again in the future. The damage is done and there is no going back. I'll let the figures speak for themselves.
Well you might have to do a bit of adjusting of your coverage figures, because what I’m about to tell you might be surprising.

My friend was in Lakewood today and happened to go to Lakewood Park to see the MOD 6024 with upgraded controls, but it wasn’t there! In its place sat a new 4016B. He then went to Madison Park where the last 4016B was supposed to be and found the MOD 6024 that was in Lakewood Park before had been moved to Madison Park and still had its controller upgraded to UV. That means that Lakewood compromised for extra coverage by moving the largest capable siren to the new coverage area at Madison Park but yet they put a 4016B at Lakewood Park (and to my knowledge Lakewood Park is larger than Madison Park is).

I still don’t know why they moved it. This Saturday I’m going to Lakewood to film one of their new 4016Bs doing chimes (or maybe I should go to the upgraded and now-moved 6024); either the roof-mounted one at FD#1, the one at Lakewood Park or the one at Cove Park.

I would do the upgraded 6024 that has been moved to Madison Park but I already recorded that before it was moved and was still on the MCP controls (they also replaced a driver that was blown in the 6024 as well).
sirenfreak57

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Tyler wrote:
fire_freak_57 wrote:

Well you might have to do a bit of adjusting of your coverage figures, because what I’m about to tell you might be surprising.

My friend was in Lakewood today and happened to go to Lakewood Park to see the MOD 6024 with upgraded controls, but it wasn’t there! In its place sat a new 4016B. He then went to Madison Park where the last 4016B was supposed to be and found the MOD 6024 that was in Lakewood Park before had been moved to Madison Park and still had its controller upgraded to UV. That means that Lakewood compromised for extra coverage by moving the largest capable siren to the new coverage area at Madison Park but yet they put a 4016B at Lakewood Park (and to my knowledge Lakewood Park is larger than Madison Park is).

I still don’t know why they moved it. This Saturday I’m going to Lakewood to film one of their new 4016Bs doing chimes (or maybe I should go to the upgraded and now-moved 6024); either the roof-mounted one at FD#1, the one at Lakewood Park or the one at Cove Park.
I mean sure... but that isn't really going to help much of anything.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

fire_freak_57

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Tyler wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 pm
fire_freak_57 wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I mean sure... but that isn't really going to help much of anything.
Yeah I know. It just surprised me why they’d move the 6024 in the first place, but whatever. Damage has already been done, but I’d rather have them have sirens than not, given that about 65% of Cuyahoga County including Cleveland has no current siren system at all. Back in 2004 they proposed a countywide siren system, but it obviously never went through given that installing and maintaining the several hundred sirens that would be required to protect the city of Cleveland alone would be extremely expensive and a monumentous task and many suburbs already had siren systems of their own anyways.
sirenfreak57

fire_freak_57

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 am

Here’s the picture of the one at FD#1:

I photographed the entire new system this weekend and witnessed a test of it on Saturday. The new MOD IIs are a lot better than the 612’s (they all went off as did the 6024 at Madison Park) but they’re pretty quiet; although loud for their intended coverage area although I personally couldn’t hear much of the other sirens in the distance but because of the lack of overlap they have now I’m not surprised. The 6024 should be louder now that it was repaired and fitted with new drivers to replaced the busted ones.

The two squares are where the 612’s roof mount was at I believe. I have a video up on YouTube which is basically a slideshow of all the photographs I took of the new system (well, not all of them but the ones I compiled together). First photographs of all the new sirens so I consider that an accomplishment. They still follow the same testing schedule as they did before; with chimes the first three Saturdays of the month at Noon and Alert on the last Saturday of the month at Noon.
Attachments
0ADE2781-AB27-4EFA-A668-D3157B2C2814.jpeg
0ADE2781-AB27-4EFA-A668-D3157B2C2814.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4433 times
sirenfreak57

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”