fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: Severe lack of siren coverage in the Washington DC area.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Washington DC did have 500 sirens exactly. I found this in the FEMA CPG 1-14 Manual from November 9, 1981, entitled Principles of Warning and Criteria Governing Eligibility of National Warning Systems (NAWAS) Terminals:
CPG 1-14 wrote:3. Washington Area Warning System. The Washington Area Warning System (WAWAS) includes over 400 outdoor sirens (being expanded to 500); indoor bell and lights terminals in office buildings; and a special party line telephone circuit to about 60 Federal, State, and local government control points, such as fire and police, with radio backup to most of these locations. WAWAS is controlled by the Alternate National Warning Center at Olney, Maryland. Backup control is performed by FEMA Region III from its Regional Warning Room.
Just thought this would be of interest to you all. The manual also states that the Washington Area Warning System was tested for a shorter duration than FEMA's test policy that most other cities followed:

B. Test Procedures. In the monthly test, the steady sound of the ATTENTION or ALERT WARNING signals should be sounded for one minute. This should be followed by one minute of silence before the rising and falling warning signal or short blasts of the ATTACK WARNING signal are sounded for one minute. During civil preparedness exercises, each warning signal should never be sounded for more than one minute. This will establish a test and exercise pattern different from that used in an actual emergency, when the ATTENTION (ALERT) or the ATTACK WARNING signal will be sounded for 3 to 5 minutes, with either signal possibly repeated. An exception to these procedures would be when weather or other conditions make it necessary to test warning devices more than once a month. The "growl" (very short period of activation) method should be used for the extra tests; or the device should be allowed to turn over very briefly, so that sound is not produced to any significant degree. (Note: The Washington Area Warning System (WAWAS) sirens are sounded for 90 seconds.)
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

ah11

Re: Severe lack of siren coverage in the Washington DC area.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am

I found a functioning siren system in the DC area. It is used to warn residents around the mouth of the Occoquan River of incidents involving the dam a few miles upstream. I have only found one siren so far, a five-celled Whelen on the Woodbridge side of the Route 1 Occoquan River Bridge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6658694 ... 312!8i6656

Also, here is an information site. There must be several other sirens considering the size of the impact zone that they've mapped out.
http://occoquandamsiren.com/index.html

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”