Kentuckysirens
YouTube Username: Sirensofcincinnati

New Siren on the market? New ATI Creation?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:01 am

I recently discovered a new siren that I have never seen before, and I cannot find any information or literature on it.
First, I have to explain how I made this discovery. It all started when my friend Christian (4J25) was going down to Hopkinsville Kentucky to view the Solar Eclipse. As he approached the Louisville Airport, He was expecting to see their Whelen WPS-2901s. He had quite the shock when he saw new sirens standing in their place. I received a text about it and of course asked what replaced them. If you watch his live streams, you'll understand why my jaw dropped when he said he didn't know. He described it as a cross between a MasterBlaster and WS-1004. I was completely confused, even after viewing them in Aerial view. Fast forward a few months; I was looking in Fort Campbell for their new Whelen WPS 2909s when I discovered this:
Ft Campbell.png
Ft Campbell.png (934.33 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
It is almost identical in terms of aerial view to the sirens at the airport in Louisville. Furthermore, both installations are within Military complexes in Kentucky. Here's one of the Airport ones for reference:
Louisville.png
Louisville.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
After waiting anxiously for months, I finally managed to get pictures of one. This siren is located at the FD in the Kentucky Air National Guard Assembly, which is adjacent to the Airport. Here they are:
DSCN0217.JPG
DSCN0217.JPG (3.54 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
DSCN0219.JPG
DSCN0219.JPG (3.23 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
DSCN0220.JPG
DSCN0220.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
Here's my golden question: What the heck are these? My original guess is ATI, but I'm basing that purely off of the shape and look of the controller. In reality, this is the first time that I've seen anything like this and would appreciate any feedback or thoughts. I have zero clue what these are, who makes them, or what they sound like. All in all, These are really cool looking but I would love to find out more information. Thanks everyone!

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: New Siren on the market? New ATI Creation?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 am

O.o
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:26 am

Could it be a one off job by some of the base technicians?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Kentuckysirens
YouTube Username: Sirensofcincinnati

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:39 am

I feel like if they were replacing a siren from a reputable company, they wouldn't build their own. Also, the controller seems like it's a professionaly made one. Custer Electric is a company and their controllers aren't even as boxy or even closed. (And no, Custer confirmed he didn't install this)

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 am

That is indeed an ATI siren. I recognized the controller right away. ATI actually stopped selling that particular cabinet with the HPSS16's a few years ago from what I understand and started using the larger ones for both the HPSS16s and HPSS32s. Apparently this one contains their smaller 400 watt amp instead of the larger 1600 watt one. It appears that they wanted to replaced the Whelen's with sirens of equal wattage and opted for this style of installation. It's not the first one like it. ATI had a picture of one on their site in the past mounted to the usual pole mount bracket. I believe they installed that one somewhere in Central America somewhere.

Those are the same Atlas horn that Federal used on the EOWS if I'm not mistaken. At least the siren companies using Atlas speakers cover up the back ends of the horns better. I'm surprised they left the drivers and wires exposed like that. The vendor that did Ft. Rucker's and UA's systems did pretty well with those installations. I wonder who put these in. This makes the 6th style of array that ATI has used by my count.

Here's is a picture of one of Ft. Rucker's newer ATI's. This HPSS16 was installed around 2012 before they stopped using the smaller cabinets.

Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm

well thats cheap. no wonder its an ATI.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 am
That is indeed an ATI siren. I recognized the controller right away. ATI actually stopped selling that particular cabinet with the HPSS16's a few years ago from what I understand and started using the larger ones for both the HPSS16s and HPSS32s. Apparently this one contains their smaller 400 watt amp instead of the larger 1600 watt one. It appears that they wanted to replaced the Whelen's with sirens of equal wattage and opted for this style of installation. It's not the first one like it. ATI had a picture of one on their site in the past mounted to the usual pole mount bracket. I believe they installed that one somewhere in Central America somewhere.

Those are the same Atlas horn that Federal used on the EOWS if I'm not mistaken. At least the siren companies using Atlas speakers cover up the back ends of the horns better. I'm surprised they left the drivers and wires exposed like that. The vendor that did Ft. Rucker's and UA's systems did pretty well with those installations. I wonder who put these in. This makes the 6th style of array that ATI has used by my count.

Here's is a picture of one of Ft. Rucker's newer ATI's. This HPSS16 was installed around 2012 before they stopped using the smaller cabinets.

Meh, I doubt that's Atlas. Atlas' horns are much higher quality from what that looks like. I imagine those horns came from the same place ATI and ASC get their horns for the HPSS and E-Class. Those also appear to be much smaller than the Atlas DR-54 Federal used on the EOWS.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”