4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Baton Rouge Warning Sirens Information

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am

You know those few 4008's that are strewn around parts of Baton Rouge, LA? Well, last night and earlier today I was doing some hunting to see if I could find additional locations. I found a few more, and Luke (CentralPASirens) found one as well. I decided to do a brief Google search on "Baton Rouge old warning siren locations," and it turned excellent results.

The first result that came up was the document "ANNEX C," specifically Appendix 5. Appendix 5 contains every single location for the system. I was able to locate 17 of the sirens, which were all 4008's, however I found two locations of concern: siren #18, which I cannot locate (but was likely the 2805 in the plant at that intersection which was replaced with a Modulator at some point), and siren #19, which is at Southern A&M University. I was able to locate a WPS-2910 and 2001-DC on their campus, and at this point I'm assuming the 2001-DC is likely part of the corridor system while the 2910 is simply for the university.

These documents were revised in 2009, and from what I can gather through Google Earth aerial history, the system was operational until sometime in 2009 or 2010, however it is possible that this plan was an effort to put an already deactivated system back online. Regardless of providing locations to every unit, the documents either leave a lot to desire or I'm overlooking something. The use of the sirens is outlined, which boils down to an all-disaster system (tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, terrorism, etc.).

As for the sirens themselves, each 4008 is installed on a wooden or steel pole and has two solar panels. As far as their linear north-to-south placement goes, I presume the idea was to cover areas that would be affected by an accident at one of the facilities north of downtown, primarily Exxonmobil.

Then we have Appendix 4 of that same document, which I could only access through the Wayback Machine for some odd reason. This is where things get interesting: It contains two lists- sirens that are radio controlled and have a radius of 2.5 miles, and sirens that are TELCO line controlled and have a circular radius of 1.25 miles. The first list comprises of all Thunderbolts, likely 1000's, and all but two still remain (427 Laurel remains, but is tipped over on the rood of the station), and the second comprises of Model 5's, all three of which remain intact. What's really interesting is that they are talked about as if they were active the year of the document revision. It is very possible that Appendix 4 contains the majority (or perhaps all) of Baton Rouge's old CD sirens.

With that said, I'm surprised that such simple search terms would lead to something like this. Enjoy looking through all of this stuff and taking a look at the sirens!

Appendix 5 (INDUSTRIAL CORRIDOR EMERGENCY SIREN AND WARNING
SYSTEM LOCATIONS):
http://brgov.com/dept/oep/workingplan/a ... endix5.pdf

Appendix 4 (Thunderbolts and Model 5's):
http://web.archive.org/web/201207251209 ... endix4.pdf
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

07VFDInLCD
YouTube Username: Siren Archives

Re: Baton Rouge Warning Sirens Information

Sat May 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Very interesting. I used to live in Baton Rouge from around early-to-mid 2015 to very early 2016. So about a year. I was around 9-10 years old at the time, so I was not a siren enthusiast yet. I only became one after I moved to Ardmore, OK, where I currently live now. In the time I lived in Baton Rouge, there have been at least 1 tornado warning, in which no sirens sounded. The only couple of ways to find out if a tornado was coming was to Google the weather and/or turn on the radio or TV. I do not recall seeing any sirens either, although, to be fair, I was not looking for them.

siren fan

Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 am

What about LSU? Do they have a mass notification warning system?

SirensOfNewYork

Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 am

As long as this thread is back from the dead, would you by any chance be able to create a map? I can't access Appendix 5 because the site claims it doesn't exist. I've been searching A&M, but I've only seen the 2001-DC.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

07VFDInLCD

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
As long as this thread is back from the dead, would you by any chance be able to create a map? I can't access Appendix 5 because the site claims it doesn't exist. I've been searching A&M, but I've only seen the 2001-DC.
I can try to create one. After all, besides online school and some other work, I don't have all that much to do.

EDIT: Here's what I have so far. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

07VFDInLCD

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
I can't access Appendix 5 because the site claims it doesn't exist.
Well, by pure experimenting and luck, I found the archived document of Appendix 5.

Link: https://web.archive.org/web/20120725120 ... endix5.pdf

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Do you know why they abandoned the system?
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

07VFDInLCD

Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 pm

I have no clue honestly. They might've just thought the system was too much of a hassle? I don't know, Pretty much all of the sirens are still standing, as far as Google Maps shows.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”