Stag
YouTube Username: Spaghetti Jay

Jasper County, MO Sirens

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm very new to the area, and I was wondering if anyone here had any familiarity with the siren system of Jasper County, MO and anywhere nearby? I understand Joplin had sustained severe damage in the 2011 tornado and, from what it looks like, put their system through a complete overhaul utilizing exclusively Federal Signal 2001's.
So my hopes of finding any functioning vintage sirens nearby might be squandered understandably.

However I'm very interested in taking possibly lengthy road trips across the midwest to catch sight of anything notable and interesting even marginally. I've already been to Missouri State's campus in Springfield to see an SD-10 and an STH-10. So, the sky's the limit! I'm happy for whatever knowledge anyone wishes to bestow on me.
On that note, does anyone know if the supposed Thunderbolts located in Baxter Springs, MO are still up and functioning?
sincerely yours, a weird siren obsessed deer 🦌

Andrew papesh

Re: Jasper County, MO Sirens

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Just a dude who has a hobby of sirens.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Joplin used to have a system of older Allertors from the late 1960's. In the 80's they added Thunderbeams, and at some point in the 90's a T-135-AC (P-50) They also ended up with some Vortexes and 2001's before the 2011 tornado. After the tornado they overhauled the entire system and it's all 2001-130's and SRN's now. As for the rest of Jasper County, Duenweg has a Sentry 16V1T-B and a Modulator, Orongo has another 16V1T-B, Jasper has a 16V1T-B, a Sterling M-5, and supposedly received some Thunderbolts from Webb City's old system. Carthage has 508's that replaced a system of Vortexes and SD-10's, and Avilla has a Sentry 3V8-H. Newton County to the south is mostly 2001's, but there are two Thunderbolts in Granby (1000 & 1000AT) and a Sentry in Wentworth. Lawrence County to the east is loaded with 2T22's and Sentries, as well as 3 Thunderbolts in Marionville. Monett has a ridiculous amount of 2001's, along with a 508 and two Thunderbolts left from their old system. Barry County to the southeast is loaded with Thunderbolts, as well as Stone County which is the county directly east of Barry. I'm located in Stone County and I'm pretty much the most knowledgeable person around when it comes to Southwest Missouri, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the area or a particular system. The map that Andrew posted above is mine, feel free to use it to search for sirens.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Also of note Baxter Springs KS has at least 1 T Bolt on the south end of town near the motel and the McDonald's. Galena KS had last I knew of an STH10 and an SD10. Columbus KS has a 2001 of some kind and a Vortex. And Pittsburg KS had a mix of old and new Federals but were considering modernizing and may have already done so. It has been several years since I've been through there. These are all bedroom communities to Joplin and Jasper County so I felt they were relevant to list.

Missouri1000Tfan

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Alba has a Whelen Vortex R4 (Finback), along with Brooklyn Heights, and Purcell has an SD-10. Barton county to the north, Lamar has T-121's, Screamers, along with a 3T22 and a Hornet. Golden City has Sentry Defender's, Model 2s and a 3V8. Liberal has a STH-10 and a OA4, both are located not far from each other. The county also have a few Whelen OA4's and Hornets scattered around the area.

MIKEY

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 am

Thought you might be interested that Mulberry Ks just outside of Pittsburg has a Sterling, two model 2s and a Thunderbolt that they aquired from Pittsburg. Also Golden City just put in a new Whelen and discontinuing the defenders and model 2s according to their city Facebook.

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 am

Franklin KS has a Vortex that was installed after the massive F4 of May 2003. Riverton has an Whelen omni of some kind. Southwest City MO has a Sentry of some kind. I know Carl Junction has sirens but I am unsure of what kind. And way up to the north Nevada MO in Vernon County has several Allertors, 1 P15 and an STH10. Possibly more but those are the ones I've seen personally. It's been several years since I've been through there so they may or may not have replaced them. Oddly enough their ACAs are painted light almost baby blue. Weird color choice. That covers most of my SW MO SE KS siren knowledge.

MIKEY

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 am

Rich Hill Mo has one 2001 that I know of. Adrian Mo, an H.O.R, some 2t22s an SD 10 and I believe some sentry models. I am going to be up there again sometime this year and will try to get pics...

EOWS 612

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 am

Sorry for dragging up and older topic. I know the Kansas side of the that area fairly well so I might have something to contribute.

As mentioned, Pittsburg's system is a made up of Whelen omni's, 4 Vortex's, a trifecta of 2001s with Whelen cabinets, and a single 1000T at Lincoln Park. It's still active; but is located within 100 yards of a Whelen so it may not stay that way for long. Frontanac has a system of old 2001s. I believe they both test first Wednesday of the month at 11 or 12. Going further north, Franklin also has a Whelen Vortex while Arma has another system of 2001s as well as one of those single rotor Denver-style sirens(inactive?) on the old water tower. Arma tests every Friday at 10. To the south, I believe that Galena has replaced all of there SD-10s with 2001-130s. There is an STH-10 at the fire station still used as a noon whistle and a Sterling sitting on the ground at the city museum located across the street. I haven't seen the Whlen omni in Riverton yet, but I know there is a 2001-130 at US 66 and Military St. that replaced a Model A or something similar. Lowell and Crestline also recently acquired 2001-130s.

On the Missouri side, Barton county has Hornets and OA4's scattered to the wind across the county. Off the top of my head they have Whelen's in Liberal, Nashville, Irwin, and Iantha. Mindenmines has an active Federal Model B. Asbury has a single headed Little Giant on the fire station but I don't know if it is active or not.

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Go hunting in webster county there is a Darley model 5T and a model 2 the 2s in rogersville and the 5Ts in fordland by the watertower.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”