Fearguy1234
YouTube Username: Chessie System

Siren Mounting Height Chart

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 am

Recently, I've been pondering about the engineering of siren systems and whatnot. (Playing around with radiuses compared to a sirens db rating) in and around certain cities. I've also been reviewing functional siren systems such as those in Chicago, Cincinnati, and other major cities.
I've used sound charts from Federal Signal manuals about how effective siren db's are over distance, and even reviewed the 1980 Civil Defense outdoor warning system guide about minimum mounting heights for sirens to prevent hearing damage.
However, I haven't come across a chart that describes how much distance is added to a sirens radius the higher it is mounted up. I know that a siren mounted higher than normal won't warn the immediate area very well, but it WILL warn a larger radius than normal. For example, Chrysler sirens could be mounted on top of mountains and warn areas up to 20 to 25 miles away. Mounting sirens this high up would even give a normal siren such as a thunderbolt or 2001 a big sound coverage boost. How would such a
chart be made to calculate this "boost" for every foot or so the sirens are in the air? Thank you for your time :D
Chessie System

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”