Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

A Brief History of the Corsicana, TX system, and how I discovered it

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Corsicana, TX is largely overlooked in the siren community, and it's a real shame, too. They have eight 2t22s, which always run Attack. Tests are held on the first wedensday at 1:30.

Articles mentioning a siren system in Corsicana go as far back as 1977. I'm not sure what they were or where they were, but they were there.
This is where things get interesting. The only article I've ever found mentioning a successful test of that system goes back to late April, specifically the 22nd.
Then, on 11/22/1979, this article ran in the Corsicana Weekly Light.

I'd passed through this town on my way home from...somewhere, and had seen the 2t22 downtown and stupidly assumed that was all they had. As such, in August, I went out to record it.
About two months back, I did a fantasy map for Navarro County. While scouting out locations on street view, I caught sight of a second T22 at one of the fire stations. This got me curious, and so I got to proper mapping. Half an hour later, I'd found five more- two at fire departments, one near Travis Elementary and one at the YMCA- and assumed that was it. I continued to question that coverage, though, as it left a few dead spots.
This was until yesterday, when I found that article detailing the installation of eight "civil defense-weather warning" sirens. Upon investigation, I found the last two 2t22s in places I hadn't thought to look but should've.
What they had before may be forever lost to time, or perhaps buried in the city archives somewhere.
Or perhaps, one of you may know?
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”