FS Rotor

Re: SONGS former hand built siren FOUND!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:33 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 am
I have a theory as for the High-Low signal: I remember seeing a siren from a foreign country (I sadly cannot remember where) that ran a "mock-up" High-Low by altering the voltage going to the motor; full speed for the high, and a lower voltage for the low. There may have been a transformer attached to a timer that alternated between full and partial chopper voltages to make a fire signal.
It had a mechanical valve that would open and close. While the valve was closed, it would change in speed
Last edited by FS Rotor on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a 4/5 Thunderbolt, Federal Sign & Signal SD-10, large Heath Engineering Siren, and a bunch of smaller sirens.

Fearguy1234
YouTube Username: Chessie System

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 am

An even better question, was the hi-lo signal regularly used or determined to be used as a ''special'' nuclear accident signal? Or was it just something it could theoretically do?
Chessie System

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 am

FS Rotor wrote:
I have a theory as for the High-Low signal: I remember seeing a siren from a foreign country (I sadly cannot remember where) that ran a "mock-up" High-Low by altering the voltage going to the motor; full speed for the high, and a lower voltage for the low. There may have been a transformer attached to a timer that alternated between full and partial chopper voltages to make a fire signal.
The “hi-low” it produced was referring to the sound. It had a mechanical valve that would open and close thus producing high sound output for a few seconds, and low sound output for a few seconds.
In a pneumatic siren that would result in pulse not high low one minute the siren is audible the next minute no sound.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

Hacksaw

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 am

Great find! I had a few pictures, some where, of these.

I wonder if Eclipse8 horns would work? Not having a directional horn does eliminate any rotor drive issues.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 am

Hacksaw wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 am
Great find! I had a few pictures, some where, of these.

I wonder if Eclipse8 horns would work? Not having a directional horn does eliminate any rotor drive issues.
Me and FS Rotor will be making horns for it ,since I have all the blue prints and the horn designs. The horns were actually made of fiberglass and were 32" long.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:14 pm

FS Rotor wrote:
The “hi-low” it produced was referring to the sound. It had a mechanical valve that would open and close thus producing high sound output for a few seconds, and low sound output for a few seconds.
I though I was referring to sound; the full power would make a high tone, and the reduced power would make a low tone, just with a minor wind-up/wind-down in between.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:05 am

If you look at the spec sheet, you can see that this is, in fact, an unconventional octave-interval siren. It clearly says, "240 AND 480 HZ".
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 am

FSThunderboltfan1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 am
FahmiRBLX wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 am
So this siren is Hi-Lo Capable? Exited to hear it sound all three signals, but wait, is it Alternate Wail-Capable? In my logic, if it's Hi-Lo Capable, of course it could sound Alternate Wail. And I'm also curious, if this siren works the same manner as a Thunderbolt and a Hurricane, meaning it has a typical Chopper/Rotor w/Stator and a blower to pump in more air?

Not trying to be mean or anything, but take a good look at that rotor on the siren it is a single tone rotor so no this siren will never sound any sort of high low signal. The sirens if rigged right could theoretically be capable of doing pulse, but not high low.
Replying to you, this makes me curious : (Look at the "THREE SIGNAL CAPABILITY" Part)
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

It's actually not an octave interval siren. The 240 and 480 means that its 240 Hz running with the blower and 480 Hz without the blower.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 pm

The two frequencies part intrigues me, I have a problem with it. If this siren was on a typical single phase induction motor it's only going to do one pitch, 250 Hz. Since the rotor is 4 port that only way you can get 480 Hz out of it is if you double its RPM. The only way that could happen is if you increase the frequency of the AC. The only other way you can double the pitch is by doubling the port count on the rotor. With a universal motor you can spin the chopper up to 7200 RPM like you could see with the Deutsch pneumatic sirens, and you can change the speed by changing the voltage with a transformer or using a MOSFET and micro-controller to control it via PWM. With the universal motor concept it's possible to have a high low tone by alternating the voltages or frequency of the PWM. While you can change the speed of the AC motor by changing the frequency, that chopper isn't going any higher than 250 Hz unless you couple it to a VFD and drive the motor at a higher frequency. I have a feeling that the two frequencies list were options for the the siren and hi-lo was pulsed steady.

I wonder what kind of pressure that blower generates. With the design of the chopper having such close tolerances it won't take much to make it punch pretty good. I though it was amazing to see how close they were able to get it with my Model 1 siren, but with this thing it seems that the rotor actually contacts the stator. That's nuts! :shock: I wonder if changing the pulley ratio to increase the blower's RPM will make it any louder or swapping it for a roots or screw blower to apply more pressure to the system. It's definitely a one of a kind siren for sure.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”