Jared Thompson
YouTube Username: Jared Thompson

Re: Sirens of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania

Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Jared Thompson wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 pm
I recorded this ambiance back in October. The reason why I'm bringing this up because i was rewatching a few of my ambiances and this particular ambiance sounds sort of like an RSH-10 Thunderbeam. Even though there's no RSH-10s in the county. Btw, i have been unlucky of recording ambiances again, but anyway check it out. Doesn't it sound like an RSH-10 to you?
https://youtu.be/vYw6q2NxoB0

uncommonsense

Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Jared Thompson wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Doesn't it sound like an RSH-10?
https://youtu.be/vYw6q2NxoB0
RSH-10 = STH-10 except the innards are being reflected off a rotating dish instead of projecting out horns. They should sound alike.

Jared Thompson

Sun May 27, 2018 9:28 pm

That's what was happening towards the end of the ambiance. Every couple of cycles it would get louder then quite. It'll do another couple of cycles it would get louder again until the signal was done. It was probably the wind doing that, but it was so long ago. I'm not trying to be nasty.

Jared Thompson

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 am

Tomorrow will be one year since i first film the T-Town STH-10. It went for a dwelling fire. About 40 minutes later, it goes of for an A.F.A. (Automatic Fire Alerm). It only did one cycle of fire. I was able to get the siren winding down. More to come.

First ambiance.
https://youtu.be/V5nAU8ucN1E

Second ambiance.
https://youtu.be/UoeIX0baZMM

Jared Thompson

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 am

Today i returned to Schnecksville to film thier STH-10. Things have changed since my last visit. Firstly, the roof has been replaced and the interior of the building are new. Secondly, the siren was refurbished, repainted ad reinstalled. If case if you missed it, the roof of the social hall gave way fue to a wind storm that occurred in Kuly of 2017.

I don't know why the picture is sideways. Is there anyway you can rotate it?
Attachments
20180620_183325.jpg
20180620_183325.jpg (938.19 KiB) Viewed 3710 times

Jared Thompson

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I heard bad news that the siren in Trexlertown might be on its last legs. The siren is now turned off due to an electrical problem within the system. During the July 4th fireworks, the STH-10 activated and went off 4 consecutive times without deactivatong. There is electricians and technicians figuring out if the siren be reactivated. If for whatever reason this siren can't be fixed, it will be shut off for good. I'm looking at possibly saving the siren from rotting away. If i do get the siren (I probably won't) I will make videos. Any questions feel free to ask.

Jared Thompson

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Updates are popping up about the STH-10. I believe there is a timer problem within the siren. I'm not sure if it involves the AF timer or the deactivation timer. I haven't seen or heard if anyone is working on fixing it. I have faith that this siren is going to be turned off and be decommissioned.

500AT

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:15 pm

The AF timer pictured is from the 1970s through the early 2000s. This could be a model AF-3 or AF-5, with 3 indicating three minutes, or 5 indicating five minutes duration time before shutting the siren off. The fire signal usually ran for only two minutes, unless it was modified to run the full three or five minutes. Moreover, this is a 4th generation AF/AR timer.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Jared Thompson

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks. I never knew that. I believe the timer would be set to about 2 1/2 minutes. The reason i say that is because my scanner is delayed by 30 seconds.. So every time I go to record it, I miss 30 seconds of the fire call.

Jared Thompson

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 am

So... my interest in sirens have been going downhill over the last 3-6 months. Recently the STH-10 in Trexlertown was fix for the second time this year. The first time for a radio failures and a second time for an electrical problem with the AF Timer being all screwed up. That issue was later fixed. To this day, I have not heard the siren, but a member of the fire company told me the siren is working again. My enthusiasmnow involves vintage/classic/old fire apparatuses. Just because I'm no longer a siren enthusiast doesn't mean that I will quit recording sirens, but there won't be a much siren videos like before. I still do have my Thunderbolt, but it's on a shelf collecting dust. I plan to post and upload more content when I have the time to xoxo so.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”