John Huggins
New User

Got this at a local auction house 'Secomak GP4'

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the site and looking for your help.
I purchased this siren last week at a local auction house...it was listed as a 'metal pump'
(???). Their loss, my gain! The brass plaque says that it is a Secomak' GP4.
I know absolutely nothing about sirens, but it looks to be in quite good condition.
Can anyone shed some light on it? I guess it was a static unit, but where and how old...I am none the wiser. Am hoping to get it up and running and use it for when I can't get the kids up for school...oh, that'll be every morning then!
Looking forward to your wisdom and knowledge.
Cheers Johnnie
PS Hown do you post an image?

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: Got this at a local auction house 'Secomak GP4'

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm

John Huggins wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm
Hello all, I'm new to the site and looking for your help.
I purchased this siren last week at a local auction house...it was listed as a 'metal pump'
(???). Their loss, my gain! The brass plaque says that it is a Secomak' GP4.
I know absolutely nothing about sirens, but it looks to be in quite good condition.
Can anyone shed some light on it? I guess it was a static unit, but where and how old...I am none the wiser. Am hoping to get it up and running and use it for when I can't get the kids up for school...oh, that'll be every morning then!
Looking forward to your wisdom and knowledge.
Cheers Johnnie
PS Hown do you post an image?
Secomak means World War 2 up until 1950. From then on the company was known as Klaxon Signals, famous here for making the CS8 sirens installed in Carstairs and around Broadmoor hospital.

As for the GP4 part, that means you won't be wanting to sound it every morning. They're not that big for a siren around here down south in the UK but they will pop an MCB if you're not too careful. If you do get it to run however, you'll want hearing protection as they are still painfully loud at a close and mid length distance. Also keep in mind that it may be three phase, but I am 90% doubtful that it will be.

And posting pictures is finicky but if you look at the very bottom of the full editor page there is a file upload wizard that will help you.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

John Huggins
New User

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for that,. Is there a market for these things? My Mrs stubbed her toe on it yesterday and I got an earful about (in my opinion) my fantastic, ever expanding collection of oddities.

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 pm

John Huggins wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:43 pm
Thanks for that,. Is there a market for these things? My Mrs stubbed her toe on it yesterday and I got an earful about (in my opinion) my fantastic, ever expanding collection of oddities.
It a niche market, I'll give you that. Hope the Mrs' toe gets better! Resale value when restored properly on those sirens will give you a profit, but you'll need the correct buyers. Some collectors of Klaxon/ Secomak sirens (As well as most other manufacturers) might be interested.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”