TWB8s

YouTube Username: CaffeinePoweredSS

Hi. I'm the siren guy in Dane County.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:58 pm

As a tool partner once said "I'm from the Hall and I'm here to help."

I hope to help others here with their systems and benefit from their experiences.

The company I work for has the contract for the county. Since January I was thrown into disarray left behind by my two predecessors. Since January I've found countless incorrect fuses, insufficient amp hour batteries, improper bonding, and a total lack of correct sensor calibration. There's 134 sirens ranging from American Signal T-112, 121, 128 and a single T-135 as well as Federal Signal 2001-130 and Equinox with four more sites being added over this winter/spring.

The sites are controlled by an Acoustic Technologies Incorporated system.

Our "season" is from March to November. "Weather Events" aka tornadoes are the threat. During the season we test on the first Wednesday of the month for 3 minutes and twice on Tornado Awareness Week. A few of the sirens are used by volunteer fire departments linked to a secondary system which is not part of my responsibilities.

My twelve years as an Inside Wireman has covered everything from the power plant to the doorbell. Controls in power plants, the GM plant in Arlington, TX, municipal HVAC, research laboratories and simple lighting controls provided a fair foundation for DC systems.

Before my apprenticeship I was in the US Army, a mechanic for the US Cycling Team, a Microbiologist/Laboratory Technologist and bicycle racer.

When it comes to the sirens I'm most proud of two things: 100% system function since May and saving the County Emergency Management budget thousands in unneeded costs. For the first time in 23 years the sites all work at the same time. Understanding the system wasn't without difficulties. I spent a lot of time on the phone while on a ladder.

In the next months I'll be performing preventive maintenance (lubrication of rotor assemblies), replacing back-up communication batteries and updating the firmware on all 134 sites.

As I said, I'm here to help, and to learn.
Make it reliable.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi. I'm the siren guy in Dane County.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi, nice to have you along!
I'm sure you'll find plenty of information here of whatever you need or want to know, and definitely more than enough people willing to help out. It's always nice to see someone "in the business" join in the discussion. It sounds like you have a lot of experience, which is great. If I remember correctly, there's a few members on here from Dane County or around the area, or at least plenty of information about it. It's always good to have another member on here.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Glad to see more members from the industry join the board. If I'm not mistaken Dane County switches manufacturers whenever they do new installations. Would you happen to know what manufacturer and models they will be using for the four new siren installations? I've always found Dane County fascinating when it comes to the system's history and diversity, particularly since they are one of the very few places outside of a nuclear EPZ with Equinoxes.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

TWB8s

YouTube Username: CaffeinePoweredSS

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 am

ASI made the sale with their "regional vendor" bid.
Make it reliable.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”