Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: Sirens Removal Question

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm

MaineCivilDefense wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm
Why don't you call the city or Federal Signal? They should know the reason why. Perhaps maybe you could stop them from doing it.

It really is too bad that they want the thunderbolts to be destroyed.
That's one really good way of making matters worse. One, they won't budge. Two, they are a corporation. They will not let little things like disposal of waste machinery and people's discontent about them get in their way.

That's why I'm steering clear of trying to buy one of Broadmoor Psychiatric Hospital's Klaxon CS8s, because, I don't want to get on the wrong side of a government controlled operation.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

MaineCivilDefense

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 pm

I guess your'e right about getting in the way. But you could always just ask why.

Chem_Boffin_6589

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm

MaineCivilDefense wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 pm
I guess you're right about getting in the way. But you could always just ask why.
Given that they'll not want any interference with their policy about obtaining old stock and what to do with it, any of these two options are possible, and there are many more things that could ensue if you ask questions like that. On the one hand, they could be giving out company information if they state why they are destroying ex public service equipment. On the other hand, they will probably lie about why they destroy the sirens and ask you questions as to how you got word of how they deal with said equipment.

Just asking why is bad enough. Saying nothing and taking it on the chin, especially in these circumstances, is probably best. You'd be dealing with a large company otherwise.
Alfie Woolard

Unit of Civil Defense

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 pm

I lost out on the opportunity to get siren because of a couple young , over zealous, siren enthusiast pestered and bugged the powers to be so much that they scrapped the siren that I had my eye one and was basically promised.....
You zealots are screwing yourselves as well as people like myself out of legit ownership....shame on ALL of you.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

MaineCivilDefense

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm

I feel that your remark was rude

I may be young, but i don't have an extreme obsession about them like most kids do. If i were to obtain these warning devices, i would do so on eBay or from "for sale" listings where the owner is willing to have it sold.

I do understand where you are coming from though, some enthusiasts would rather pester the EMA multiple times instead of getting them from a willing seller. If i were to want a siren from an agency, i would only ask once, and if they said no, i would take my dad's advice: No Means No!

DrDanthrax99

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 am

If its "illegal" to keep the units after removal without destroying them, WSS should be raided by the FBI any day now.

I've never heard of Federal mandating all old units be destroyed, and I have called Federal on the phone before. They were very kind and helpful, and even sent me a product catalog.
Granted, this was almost 15 years ago, but I don't think Federal specifically said to destroy the old Thunderbolts, I think that call was made by the entity controlling the sirens in that jurisdiction.

And although the zealotry comment may have been kind of rude, its not entirely wrong, because we all have seen it. For example I remember a while back reading a topic about how to open an RCM1, which is the kind of question that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't know.

There are no laws on any books I can find regulating the sale of sirens. They're machines, and if a company/siren owner enjoys making money, logically they'd accept it from nearly anybody as long as you present yourself reasonably and seriously. And if you can afford the roughly $20,000 for a new siren, I don't know why Federal, ASC, Sentry, Whelen, etc. would have a problem taking your money.
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:19 am

bigtuna7O wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm
I spoke with a company that does siren maintenance/installation/removal in DFW, and they said they were obligated by Federal Signal to destroy their Thunderbolts post removal. Not sellable, not legal, each unit must be completely destroyed. Can someone expand on why this is the case? Is this true on the whole of Federal sirens, or is the company in a unique position/mistaken?
I don't want to say much more on this but either this is a contract Federal has just with this company, or they are full of it, since I know of other Federal dealers, such as West Shore, that doesn't destroy any of their sirens under a 'contract'.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Chem_Boffin_6589

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 pm
You zealots are screwing yourselves as well as people like myself out of legit ownership....shame on ALL of you.
"You" as in us, right? I have never asked an authority for a siren, because they'll redirect me to a tape message saying that the person whom I'm calling is unavailable. And besides, the people doing stuff like this are literally the heavies when it comes to government control and law and order. You needn't even ask them, because just looking at them will discourage you.
Alfie Woolard

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 pm

This all depends on how the contract for siren replacement is set up, it's not a blanket statement. Federal dealers/distributors put up used sirens all the time, Federal can't legally stop them from doing so unless it's written on the contract when said siren system is replaced, which is generally uncommon.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am

I love old sirens just as much as the next person. However; please do everyone on here a favor and DO NOT pester the city or installation company. Just let it go. It makes you look bad, it makes me look bad, and it makes anyone who identifies them self as a siren enthusiast look bad.
If they want to scrap the sirens, that's what they are going to do, and I'm sorry to say you will not be able to do anything about it.
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”