Brendan Ahern

Chicago Midway Airport jailbar gone.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:34 pm

I drive by midway airport on my way to work every day. Today I saw that they are razing the building the tbolt is on. The roof and second floor are gone, so the siren is destroyed. Didn't get a great look as I was in shock half the building was gone. It looked fine last night. Only odd thing is theasy building hasn't had power in at least a few weeks. The red airport beacons on it haven't been lit in awhile. Another one bites the dust I guess.

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Re: Chicago Midway Airport jailbar gone.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Man that's unfortunate! Was hoping to maybe get a video of it being set off like they sometimes do.
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Brendan Ahern

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 pm

The city hasn't used it since the 80s. There was a board member who worked there at one point who set it off a couple times.

ACAP10

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I was the one who used to work in that building. Signature Flight Support leased it from the City and used it as their GSE maintenance shop. There was talks even when I was there that the city was going to take the building back and redevelop the land it was on. Haven't worked there in 2 1/2 years though, so not sure A. where Signature is going to move the shop and B. what they are going to do with the extra land. They might be expanding the West gate leading into the airport. The building was a dump though. Hadn't been properly taken care of in years and the basement flooded many times and was an asbestos hazard. It's a shame the Tbolt is gone though. Worked fine minus the blower. The controls/cabinet in the basement were in perfect condition.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”