Bdesantis5632

YouTube Username: RailYardWarrior

Re: Sheldon Park EOWS 612 Returns!

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am

My thunderbolt had a blown fuse in the AR. It's little things like that that could get the entire siren taken down. I'm no electrician so I can't tell you the exact workings of the cabinets
Proud owner of the Sheldon Park EOWS 612 and two Thunderbolts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0_8j ... subscriber

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am
My thunderbolt had a blown fuse in the AR. It's little things like that that could get the entire siren taken down. I'm no electrician so I can't tell you the exact workings of the cabinets
Getting a working Siratone cabinet will be hard, as almost all the working Siratone controllers that are still up will be up probably until they have a catastrophic failure which will render them useless to use and fix. People have been able to get their Siratones working but it took a lot of time diagnosing and then fixing the faults, because half of the chips used on the boards inside those have been superseded and discontinued. Texas Instruments still hold onto the manufacturing information for I think is the triangle wave generator chip, and a few others, and have reproduced those chips as per request, however don't quote me on that.
After you rebuild the controller you'll then most likely need to bulletproof the thing as so not to have the cabinet fail on you again. Things like, putting heatsinks on some of the chips, putting beefier capacitors in the power and charging board etc. What seems to be fine on those panels are the tone cards, which seem to have no issue working. But of course, it's a Siratone, the most annoying things will happen or break or blow up on them.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Bdesantis5632

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm

You're right. They are expensive and WSS doesn't have any at the moment. The 612 will no longer run the way it used to, I'm setting up a homemade Bluetooth system. Most of the internals are completely shot anyway

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm
You're right. They are expensive and WSS doesn't have any at the moment. The 612 will no longer run the way it used to, I'm setting up a homemade Bluetooth system. Most of the internals are completely shot anyway
Internals as in speaker drivers or the collector ring assembly? When I saw the video I noticed the tip access panel was missing, so water damage maybe?
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Bdesantis5632

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Correct. The top paneling was missing, and WSS supplied me with the wrong piece. The collector rings were severely water damaged, and the speaker drivers for the top two horns were gone as well. They gave me replacements for them, also the wrong size. The rotator is badly rusted, but can still turn. The drivers for the bottom 4 horns are completely safe. Some time next year, I'm going back to get the real parts, as well as parts for my thunderbolt

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 am

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm
Correct. The top paneling was missing, and WSS supplied me with the wrong piece. The collector rings were severely water damaged, and the speaker drivers for the top two horns were gone as well. They gave me replacements for them, also the wrong size. The rotator is badly rusted, but can still turn. The drivers for the bottom 4 horns are completely safe. Some time next year, I'm going back to get the real parts, as well as parts for my thunderbolt
I hope you got a good price for it being in the shape it was in. Sounds like a nightmare. 😬
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Bdesantis5632

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am

Thank you, I got an amazing deal for it, but I don't wanna share it. It was a nightmare in a way, but fortunately I have family who worked on speakers as a hobby so I'm saved. Don't even get me started on the cleaning process right after I got it. I can't complain though, it's the Sheldon Park 612, WSS confirmed it, it may be in bad shape but it's restoreable

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 am

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am
Thank you, I got an amazing deal for it, but I don't wanna share it. It was a nightmare in a way, but fortunately I have family who worked on speakers as a hobby so I'm saved. Don't even get me started on the cleaning process right after I got it. I can't complain though, it's the Sheldon Park 612, WSS confirmed it, it may be in bad shape but it's restoreable
Parts should be easy to get too. Atlas still makes all the speaker components, and I'm sure that other things can be found, if not substituted for others that are just as nice.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Bdesantis5632

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:54 am

That's good to hear. I remember seeing the missing piece in a video a while back, but if they couldn't find it, it was probably scrapped. I may be back there soon anyway so we'll find out

Railfan99

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Tyler wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 am
Siren1000T wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm
I got a message from Jeff at WSS saying

"Hi Danny,

Good to hear from you.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you what happened to the control cabinet. Most of them were in very bad shape. More than likely, they were just scrapped.

Thanks,

Jeff DuPilka | President
West Shore Services, Inc. | 6620 Lake Michigan Drive, P.O. Box 188 | Allendale, MI 49401
(616) 895-4347 ext. 112 | Fax (616) 895-7158 | Cell (616) 291-0769"

From what I remember, any remaining siratone controllers WSS has left (if any) are very likely not fixable. I've bought an old siratone controller from them a couple years ago and tried to get it to work but the signals wouldn't sound. There was power going to the amps though. So I ordered a new control buttons but still wouldn't work. Then I decided to swap it out with another controller that was still attached on a pole connected to an EOWS laying in the yard. After I got it, I realized it was a different kind of controller called the MC. I didn't actually know anything about those but I'm actually glad I got to own one and worked just fine for me. Maybe some day, me and Ben could meet up with each other and play with our sirens since we live close by.
The tone generators on a lot of those SiraTones are probably dead thanks to overheating and the chips melting themselves. Perhaps just a busted capacitor or something, who knows.
It might also be from sitting out in the weather for too long. OOPS! I forgot those cabinets are weatherproof.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”