CrazyCalvinWilliams
YouTube Username: CrazyCalvinWilliams

Running my jailbar - HOW?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Sorry I haven't posted here in eons. Been busy with school and work. Anyways, I still have my jailbar Thunderbolt. Like before, I still just have everything from the rotator box on up (rotator, chopper, siren head).

The siren is 480 volts, 3 phase T-1000 according to it's tags. Besides a blower and RCM, is there anything else I'll need to get it to run again?

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: Running my jailbar - HOW?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 pm

T-1000? That's a new one. Perhaps checking to see if the rotator turns and if the chopper spins freely may help you get it running again.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

CrazyCalvinWilliams

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:26 pm

I meant 1000. I got it confused with the part on the tag that says T-129.

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:30 pm

hey calvin, the chopper motor is single phase and can operate on anything from 120-240v ac. your rotator motor is the only thing that is three phase... if you dont have the blower. a RCM is not required to run it but if you want to adjust chopper pitch it will be needed. change the rotator motor out for a 1/3 hp 1800 rpm single phase motor that has a 1/2" shaft. i have provided a picture of the insides of the rotator box to give you an idea of what to hookup to where.

The two grey wires that are connected to the black wire are the leads going to the chopper motor.
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

Pi_User5

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Wow. A 480v 3 phase jailbar? That's new to me. I was under the impression that the early Thunderbolts would all be single phase. Do you happen to have photos somewhere of the siren? :)

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 am

I have a picture that i saved from out in the wild of a 480v RCM panel, its a mid 1950s model that has been semi butchered and some of the contactors have been changed out. Note the massive chopper transformer inside it. Image
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

Pi_User5

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:39 am

That is a sad looking panel. :( I wonder how the 1956 Thunderbolt panels in Springfield would look. If only I could convince the city to give me the 3 old Thunderbolts.

CrazyCalvinWilliams

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 am

Pi_User5 wrote:
Wow. A 480v 3 phase jailbar? That's new to me. I was under the impression that the early Thunderbolts would all be single phase. Do you happen to have photos somewhere of the siren? :)
https://www.thesirenboard.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=18804

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Pi_User5 wrote:
It's usually the opposite. Most of the earlier Thunderbolts were more commonly 3 phase. There were lots of single phase ones sold thru the 70's-80's. Considering the OP's siren was installed on an industrial building, 480v 3 phase was likely the most readily available option at the time.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Pi_User5

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Stormsetter4 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 pm
It's usually the opposite. Most of the earlier Thunderbolts were more commonly 3 phase. There were lots of single phase ones sold thru the 70's-80's. Considering the OP's siren was installed on an industrial building, 480v 3 phase was likely the most readily available option at the time.
I did not know that. So that means at least 2 of the 1956 Thunderbolts in Springfield are 3 phase (not sure about the other 2).

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”