Ryan Kent

Midland, MI Thunderbolt

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 am

I live in Midland, Michigan and recently I've been researching the history of the city and county's siren system. Being a major target during the Cold War, I've been surprised not to find any remnants of civil defense in the city. That is until now. Earlier in the school year I discovered a picture of the football team with the school in the background. At the time I was getting a drink from the fountain and just mindlessly looking at the pictures on the wall, however as I was walking back to class an object on the roof in the picture caught my eye, sure enough it was a Thunderbolt on the roof. I took a picture, however it doesn't have the best quality but it gets the job done. Since I graduated earlier this spring I won't be able to get a new picture until next winter during basketball season.

Year in the picture 1990

I got lucky while looking through the historical society's online archive. The picture is a little hazy, but you can still make out the Thunderbolt.

Year in the picture 1997

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”