NKTBOLT
YouTube Username: Sirens & Warning

Jonesboro GA Thunderbolt

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 am

Hello, Ive been wanting to film one of Jonesboro, Georgia's Thunderbolt 1000s for a while now, I just do not know when they test, or who to call to make sure they are testing that day. Could someone please tell me?
Thanks in advance, Nicholas
Very proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000B Full unit, a fully restored Model 5B, A Full Model 2 Unit, a Model A, a crank siren, and several mini sirens! :TBolt:

WhammyP-50

Re: Jonesboro GA Thunderbolt

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 am

Well, looking at their website it seems there is no link to the FD. I'd go for the police and if they say the generic "I don't know", then ask them who might know. You've just got to keep calling around, search news articles, and emailing the city or police is your best bet. I've had to email several cities here in Dallas concerning If sirens were still active or when they test. If you really want it you'll work for it. I'll do a little research okay and I'll post back in a day or two.
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

WhammyP-50

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 am

WhammyP-50 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 am
Well, looking at their website it seems there is no link to the FD. I'd go for the police and if they say the generic "I don't know", then ask them who might know. You've just got to keep calling around, search news articles, and emailing the city or police is your best bet. I've had to email several cities here in Dallas concerning If sirens were still active or when they test. If you really want it you'll work for it. I'll do a little research okay and I'll post back in a day or two.
Ah took me the time it takes a siren to sound for a tornado. This will probably help you significantly. I searched :"Jonesboro GA, Outdoor Sirens"
http://jonesboroga.com/JonesboroWeatherAlerts.aspx
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Good luck. Will and I went there in August to record the Arnold St. 1000. Not a single siren went off. Called the city, and they said "Oh, we'll test them soon". We waited for TWO HOURS, nothing...
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Ed Wise

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:03 am

Jonesboro's sirens are controlled automatically by one of the first Storm Sentry's by Sentry Siren. We debated automating the the monthly test but decided against this. Usually the test is on the first Wednesday of each month at noon, weather permitting. If I am not in town to test the sirens, they sometimes do not get tested.

However this all is about to change. Jonesboro's Storm Sentry in the process of being updated and moved to the city of Morrow where it will control not only Jonesboro's sirens but Morrow's as well. The monthly testing will most likely be automated at that point.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”